Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC block for spectrum analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
I have a spectrum analyzer (HP one), i only really use the LF input on it, that is up until now. The main input uses a large RF connector (totally forgot what these are called), it states on the input that it cant tolerate DC and DC should not exceed 0V. Origanaly i came with a DC block that screwed into the input, then what ever was connected screwed into that, since moving we no longer have the DC block, I tried ebay and got a shock at what they cost!!
So I wondered if it was possible to build one? I thought a capacitor would do it, but because of the cost of these blocks i assume there must be more to it than a simple capacitor.
Anyone got any information please, I dont want to damage the machine is was expensive and is a great bit of kit I want to look after. Especially now as my interest in amateur radio grows

Yes the DC block is just a capacitor.

So why does it cost an arm and a leg?
Because it works from very low frequencies up to several hundred Mhz.
The hard part is making it with a minimum of stray reactance to upset the (near) perfect 50Ohm termination which the analyser designer spent so much money in acheiving.

JimB

So does this mean that making one isnt practical? maybe I should just make sure What ever output from my circuit connects to it I have a cap in the circuit to block the DC, Then all I need to do is make sure the circuit works with the cap there??? I would have saved up for one but I also need to buy a 75ohm to 50 Ohm converter for it and they also cost alot, for now I will continue to use the other input

That depends on what performance do you expect from it, but still it should not be too hard to make one that would work satisfactory up to say 100Mhz.

What is the maximum frequency you want the DC block to work?

Hmm I am not sure, The analyzer is a HP 8568B, its range is 100Hz - 1.5 GHz, I dont know what frequency the block we had did, my main interest in in radio in general, like old fashioned radio's and amateur radio, so i guess as many of those frequencies as I can.
I am not even sure I would have any DC problems with that kind of equipment, iits more of making sure I dont ruin something that even today would cost all my body parts to replace! and it works fantastic! it agrees 100% with my in calibration HP signal generator.

For frequencies up to a few hundred MHz you could likely use a box like one of **broken link removed**these with a 0.1uF ceramic (or other low inductance) capacitor in series between the two connectors to provide a DC block. That box has Type-N connectors which may be what the analyzer uses. Pomona Electronics makes that box with various combinations of BNC and Type-N connectors.

At higher frequencies the box will not look like 50 ohms and this mismatch will result in some signal distortion and incorrect readings. You can determine that point by looking at a sweep signal from your signal generator and noticing any differences in the analyzer reading with and without the DC block.

Note that 0.1uF will give a low frequency cutoff of about 32kHz with a 50 ohm input. If you want a lower frequency you will need to use a larger capacitor.

Here are a few 50 ohm DC blocks: **broken link removed**

The connector would help. FWIW, the 8568B uses BNC from the spec sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back