Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cutting D-shaped and double flat holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kart31

I didn't see any sub-forums on fabrication so I will ask here.

How do you go about cutting the D-shaped and double flat holes in your home shops? The dremel tool method is getting old fast (faster than I can cut them LOL).

Layout and file for one or two holes You drill the biggest hole that will fit inside the opening first then file to fit. Don't use a twist drill get a step drill, they will save a lot of cussing.
Step drills -
1615067385715.png

If you do a lot of holes buy the correct Greenlee punch and die. https://www.greenlee.com/us/en/search?BaseQuery=D+punch

If you go with the greenly dies, invest in an cordless impact driver (I have the Milwaukee 18v brushless) Pops a perfect d-shaped hole.

gophert never thought about that. I do own a manual impact tool somewhere that you hit with a hammer. I do have a 20 ft-lb Bosch demolition hammer, but not a hammer drill - yet.

If you go with the greenly dies, invest in an cordless impact driver (I have the Milwaukee 18v brushless) Pops a perfect d-shaped hole.

Thank you for the wonderful advice, I regularly punch 24mm and 22mm round holes at work, and find it hard work with just an adjustable spanner.

So following your suggestion, I ordered a De Walt cordless impact driver (a brushed one, as it's cheaper, and it's not going to get a lot of use), and a De Walt one because we already have a couple of De Walt cordless tools, and this means all three use the same batteries. I ordered it complete with case, charger, and two batteries as it was only £30 dearer than the bare tool, and you can't have too many batteries.

Anyway, it's arrived, I got some adaptors and a suitable socket - just tried it, and it's absolutely incredible. Takes a couple of seconds, and no effort required at all.

So anyone else using manual hole punches, take gophert's advice and buy a cordless impact driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back