Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Resource icon

Creating projects in mplab ide 2013-02-27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
Ian Rogers submitted a new article:

Creating Projects in MPLAB IDE - A few months ago I was involved in helping another user creating and compiling a project using the

A few months ago I was involved in helping another user creating and compiling a project using the MPLAB IDE from Microchip...

I Thought I would make this "Help File" for anyone wanting to do this for the first time..

First off you'll need to download and install the IDE from Microchips web site

**broken link removed** You need the MPLAB IDE vX.XX its about 112MB.. ( I know, BIG download )...

Read more about this article...

Thanks so much for this! I'm a long-time C and C++ programmer, but relative new-comer to electronics. This article was a huge help!

Hi,i really need somebody to take me tru microcontrollers

You should really ask in the main forum... Under microcontrollers... Would you like me to move your post to a new thread there?

You'll get a lot more help...

Hi,i really need somebody to take me tru microcontrollers

If you have any specific questions, we'll be happy to help you in the "microcontrollers" forum. Just start a thread asking your question and I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies. But make sure you ask specific questions, or else you'll get lousy answers.

Good luck!
Regards,
Matt

P.S. Darn it Ian, you beat me to it! :D

Hi Ian.

Maybe you can suggest a solution to this: Each iteration of a source file in an MPLab project overwrites the previous iteration upon building. For an alternative file system, consider the way Eagle labels an iteration of a schematic file as s#1, s#2...and the current one as sch. Thus, with Eagle, it is easy to back-step quite a way to get to a previous version.

I prefer the Eagle approach, and for MPLab, my work-around has been to save each draft assembly file as xxx_nnn, where nnn is some sequential identifier, like date or simply sequence. I then go to the project tree and add or remove the files to make the newest file the source file and build. It is complex and I don't do it for every little change, but if I add or delete a large section of code, I go through the task so I can always return to the last working version easily.

Is there another, simpler way to get the same result within the MPLab project structure?

John

Deleted duplicate. Got a "server error" on posting, so I re-posted, which ended up as a duplicate.

@John..... The way it has been done since..... Well way back is nightly builds.... Each successful build is saved.... not just the source... The whole project.

If you check out some of the open source, you will see this is how most programmers do this... They are called snapshots....
Then once in a while, a version emerges... albeit Alpha , Beta or a proper release...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back