Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

crazy lawnmower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check the carberetor , odds are the float chamber is full of water.

As water is more dense than petrol , when you refilled the tank any droplets on the inside would of been displaced to the bottom and been the first thing through the pipe to the carb.
A classic symptom is that the engine will run at tickover but dies when you crack the throttle open.

Another thing to consider ...
just how old is the petrol you used?

storage containers are sealed but the fuel tanks for engines have a breather pipe to the atmosphere to equalise the pressure, last years gas in your mower would have "boiled off" some of , if not all the lighter fractions that make for easy detonation. As a rule of thumb fill a "zippo" type ciggarette lighter with the suspect fuel (observing the makers safety rules) if it wont light then the fuels useless.

I changed both my oil and fuel before I even posted about this subject.

Is it better if I use a piece of paper instead of a business card?

and is the objective just to barely slide the paper or card through the contact points in the magneto circuit?

Re: reply

Roboticinfo said:
zachtheterrible said:
Try lookin for that gas filter. that solved the problem on my pocketbike and the problem on my pocketbike sounds exactly like what was goin on with your lawnmower.

You have to know somebody that knows a thing or two about engines, take it to them and have 'em look at it with you.
Zach it would be the magneto because he replaced the spark plug with a new one and still nothing. The magneto is what gives the electricty to the spark plug.

I used to fix lawn mowers
You may be right, but a new spark plug doesn't fix a clogged fuel filter. Seems like Zach's suggestion is worth trying.

mstechca said:
I changed both my oil and fuel before I even posted about this subject.

Is it better if I use a piece of paper instead of a business card?

and is the objective just to barely slide the paper or card through the contact points in the magneto circuit?

No use the business card a paper is to thin

Re: reply

Ron H said:
Roboticinfo said:
zachtheterrible said:
Try lookin for that gas filter. that solved the problem on my pocketbike and the problem on my pocketbike sounds exactly like what was goin on with your lawnmower.

You have to know somebody that knows a thing or two about engines, take it to them and have 'em look at it with you.
Zach it would be the magneto because he replaced the spark plug with a new one and still nothing. The magneto is what gives the electricty to the spark plug.

I used to fix lawn mowers
You may be right, but a new spark plug doesn't fix a clogged fuel filter. Seems like Zach's suggestion is worth trying.

Of course it is worth trying, when fixing engines you got to try everything that could be a possibility.

mstechca said:
I saw sparks from the spark plug itself when I pulled the cord.

Given you have a spark already there is probably no need to concentrate on that side of things, But for the record a gap of 5-15 thou is good enough, losen the coil mounting screws, put a feeler gauge of the right thickness between the coil and flywheel magnet and let the magnet hold the coil up against the feeler, then tighten the coil and remove the feeler gauge.

If you have a seperate oil and fuel tank then it could be a 2-stroke with an automatic oil pre-mixer?, very much like most chainsaws.
If you are referring to an oil tank on the engine then it may be the crankcase of a 4 stroke that you are referring to?

It may be helpfull to all of us if you were to take a pic, give its model and brand numbers or ask a friend to have a look for you. If non of that is available then a google image search of "lawnmower" may show up the one you have.

If you decide to buy a new lawnmower, can i suggest this type, you will never have to worry about it starting :)

**broken link removed**

chiba said:
mstechca said:

Given you have a spark already there is probably no need to concentrate on that side of things, But for the record a gap of 5-15 thou is good enough, losen the coil mounting screws, put a feeler gauge of the right thickness between the coil and flywheel magnet and let the magnet hold the coil up against the feeler, then tighten the coil and remove the feeler gauge.

That is bad advice
first of all you don't even no what a magneto is
and you do not want to mess the coil until you know that a business card can fit under the magneto. You do not need a feeler guage. You do not use a feeler guage to see if the magneto is alined!!.
What go's through your head?

Plus you need to work on your jokes

I managed to make the coil and the flywheel so close together, that only two sheets of lined paper can go through. at a time without a problem.

I'm thinking now it is the gas pump because when I was working on the carberator pump, I used a soldering iron to expand the rubber. the rubber didnt break!

but my soldering iron accidently went on the plastic which is part of the gas pump. I also saw a small metal ball where the hole is.

Is it normal to have a small hole there, or no hole at all?

Maybe this is the reason why it doesn't start.

Roboticinfo said:
chiba said:
mstechca said:

Given you have a spark already there is probably no need to concentrate on that side of things, But for the record a gap of 5-15 thou is good enough, losen the coil mounting screws, put a feeler gauges of the right thickness between the coil and flywheel magnet and let the magnet hold the coil up against the feeler, then tighten the coil and remove the feeler gauge.

That is bad advice
first of all you don't even no what a magneto is
and you do not want to mess the coil until you know that a business card can fit under the magneto. You do not need a feeler guage. You do not use a feeler guage to see if the magneto is alined!!.
What go's through your head?

Plus you need to work on your jokes

Well I've spent over 20 years working in the mechanical field and as far as I'm concerned where a bloke recommends to use a feeler gauge he knows what he's talking about, However, where another bloke ridicules the previous quote saying he knows nothing and recommending a business card :shock: !
Well Roboticinfo as business cards can either be paper or plastic the thickness will vary from 10 thou to over 25 thou depending on quality and material. Feeler guages are used by tradesmen, business cards are used by backwood hillbillies who think they are god. For christ sake respect a fellows comments instead of implying U are the almighty on every subject that comes up in this forum.

Anyway as far as the joke goes I might have to call one of my goats roboticinfo. If you like I'll take a snap shot for ya's all

End of Rant

Surey not ?

bryan1 said:
I might have to call one of my goats roboticinfo.

I think that is totally uncalled for and hope you have the humanity to see the error in your ways.
It would be an outrage to burden a poor caprid like that, don't you have any rats that need a name ? :wink:

Re: Surey not ?

mechie said:
bryan1 said:
I might have to call one of my goats roboticinfo.

I think that is totally uncalled for and hope you have the humanity to see the error in your ways.
It would be an outrage to burden a poor caprid like that, don't you have any rats that need a name ? :wink:

I find his comments amusing
I like to hear what other people think of me.

Thanks for the back up though

Roboticinfo said:
...first of all you don't even no what a magneto is......

Actually, the term magneto was first coined to describe the use of "magnets" to generate the power in an ignition circuit instead of a battery. Nowadays, modern small engines can have cdi, hei and various other types of ignition systems that on the outside appear to be very much the same in looks as a coil in a "magneto" sytem. It's not uncomon to find a diode(s), capacitor(s), SCR (inplace of points) a trigger winding for the SCR, an energiser coil as part of the "magneto winding", the primary HT winding and the secondary HT winding to the sparkplug. I have modified a few so called "magneto" sytems to remove the rev-limiters for racing purposes to allow many more rpm's, it's basicly a low pass filter also hidden inside the coil of a "magneto" ignition. The tricky part is getting the epoxy off and vacuum potting it together again to remove all the air bubbles. I mentioned in another thread, the one where you referred to me as a newbie! that my mate built me a vacuum potting machine so we can build our own "magneto" and HV coils.

lol, I'm definately calling this one robotinfo:

**broken link removed**

chiba said:
[
my mate built me a vacuum potting machine

Ohh so how is your [EDIT]

How often does he make you vacum potting machine?

You guys must [EDIT]

Anyway I called you a newbie because you were bad mouthing my friend Digitan and you wouldn't leave him alone. [EDIT]

EDITED by MOD, Jay.slovak
Please by polite to your fellow members!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back