Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cow feeder!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mark,

since your are going to use a different BCD switch (panel mounted) I omitted all switches as they were in the first design.

You will certainly use heavy duty push buttons as well and also panel mounted.

Here is the second design. Board dimensions are 3.6X2.3".

Boncuk

Attachments

• COWFEEDER-BRD.gif
    COWFEEDER-BRD.gif
    57.6 KB · Views: 172
  • COWFEEDER-SCH.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 187
Bonuk, eric,

Thanks for this do you know any suitable pcb manufacturers who would make 8 of these for me, have you got any advice on the type of pcb needed?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

I revised the board layout and the new dimensions are: 3.2125X2.3" (81.5975X58.4200mm)

All large solder pads will be used for external connctions.

I made an online calculation for 9 boards of the same size with 1.5mm distance for cutting.

The board will be FR-4 base material with 35µm of copper layer, single sided. Finish will be HAL (Hot Air Leveling) with leaded solder. If you want RoHs conformal finish you might select that one. Solder stop mask will be green and no silk screen print on the component side.

I have added one more electrolytic cap near the timer IC to make it work reliably. The relay has a VDR (voltage dependent resistor) instead of a snubber network. It has turned out be better than the latter for inductive loads.

The price for nine boards will be €64.08 (sales tax exempt)

PCB manufacturer is Bilex in Sofia/Bulgaria. I get all my boards made there and the quality is very good.

Here is the URL: https://www.bilex-lp.com

Attached is the latest revised PBC design. If you go along with that design I will make one large PCB with 9 parts. Ordered as one board Bilex cuts them to size without any charge if cutting is not ordered. For any questions concerning your order contact Mr. Hristo Ginov. He is the boss of the company.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• COWFEEDER-BRD.gif
    COWFEEDER-BRD.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 168
Bonuk,

Thank you so much for your help - a few further questions if thats ok?

What thinckness FR4 base should I select - what would you advise?

Also - what file do I attach to the quote? do you need to send me a file to my personal e-mail, or will a copy of the picture do?

Regards

Mark

Boncuk:

You do very nice work. T1 has the silkscreen over the hole. I know your not having one put down so it really doesn't matter.

Hi Mark.

PCB base material should be selected 1.55mm thickness.

If you have decided to use Bilex for manufacturing you'll just send the original Eagle file with the suffix *.brd.

Bilex rejects any self made Gerber file since they are doing their own stuff with a Gerber photo plotter not contained in the CAM-job of Eagle.

Also concerning the price for the boards Bilex seems to be much cheaper than the manufacturer you had planned for.

Nine boards of 3.4125X2.3 cover an entire area of 68.6875 square inches includings cutting gaps. At a total price of €64.08 one square inch will cost €0.939.

These are the values to put in for online calculation (select the Union Jack at the top for English):

Board name: COWFEEDER
Dimensions: 249.4X177.8mm
Processing time: 5 work days
Number of layers: 1
Number of boards: 1
PCB material: FR-4
thickness: 1.55mm
copper layer: 35µm
Finish: leaded solder (no RoHS)
Solder stop: Bottom
Position print: no

I probably made an error when calculating yesterday. Today the price of €46 turned up.

And this is what you'll send to Bilex:

If you don't wish any changes I'll send the Eagle files right away.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• 9XCOWFEEDER-BRD.gif
    9XCOWFEEDER-BRD.gif
    51.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Boncuk:

You do very nice work. T1 has the silkscreen over the hole. I know your not having one put down so it really doesn't matter.

Hi KeepItSimpleStupid,

that might be your impression. The "silkscreen" over the holes of T1 is located on layer51 (tDocu).

Layer51 is not printed on the silk screen. It's there to assist when populating the board.

This is what the silk screen looks like without layer51.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• COWFEEDER-BRD.gif
    COWFEEDER-BRD.gif
    29.7 KB · Views: 157
Bonuk,

Does this screen shot of the order look ok to you?

Regards

Attachments

• PCB ORDER SCREEN SHOT.doc
    201.5 KB · Views: 116
bonuk,

Thanks for this - how do I save the file, it only appears to let me save it as a web page?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm not doing all that work for myself, but for you solely! You should thoroughly read every line in my posts not to get disoriented.

I posted that if there won't be any changes you want to be applied I'll send you the original *.brd file via email. That included a question.

Please be kind enough to anwer my question.

Regards

Boncuk

P.S. My name is Boncuk not bonuk!

Last edited:
Boncuk

Sorry for getting your name wrong I didn't mean to offend

Secondly I wish to make no more changes to the design and am happy with what you propose regarding board layout

Thirdly I appreciate profoundly all the work you have done

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Eagle files are going to fly to you in about two minutes.

Use files COWFEEDER.sch and COWFEEDER.brd for your personal records.

Turn in 9XCOWFEEDER.brd to the PCB manufacturer.

Regards

Boncuk

Boncuk & eric,

Sorry ive not been in touch sooner its been hectic these last few days!

Would like to thank you both for all the help and design work you have done for me in relation to my (your!!) cowfeeder circuit, it amazing to think that there are guys like yourself out there who really do just like to help, i really do appreciate it.

I am looking to order the pcb sometime before the weekend (waiting for payday)!!

When i get the first one done I will post a picture of it on here.

Kind regards

Mark

Boncuk & eric,

Sorry ive not been in touch sooner its been hectic these last few days!

Would like to thank you both for all the help and design work you have done for me in relation to my (your!!) cowfeeder circuit, it amazing to think that there are guys like yourself out there who really do just like to help, i really do appreciate it.

I am looking to order the pcb sometime before the weekend (waiting for payday)!!

When i get the first one done I will post a picture of it on here.

Kind regards

Mark

Hi Mark,
This is the resistor network type for the select switch, the RN 10K Commoned.
https://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/10k-2-4-commoned-Resistor-Network-63-0265

Hans asked me to find it for you

Image.

Attachments

• AAesp09.gif
    AAesp09.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Is there an alternative rotary switch for the Lorlin BCKS1004 - its proving hard to source?
hi Mark,
Farnell and RS comps stock Lorlin rotary switches type Lorlin BCKS

Contact www.lorin.co.uk by email using their 'Contact Us email' and ask them for a known stockist, for Lorlin BCKS1004 043

**broken link removed**

If you have no success we could suggest an alternative manufacturer.

Eric
In the mean time I will keep looking.

EDIT:
http://www.distrelec.com/ishopWebFr...1&node=DC-22221&artView=true&productNr=211762

Last edited:
Eric,

Have been in touch with Lorlin already - they aren't too helpful - farnell and RS dont stock the BCKS1004 043 type - and would need to be specially made, I am being quoted for it to be viable a manufacturing run of 100 pieces - a alternative would be appreciated if you can see anything similar and suitable

Regards

Mark

Have also seen that other website you suggest, but when you get into it - it wont let me select the UK as country of origin for some reason, only poland, slovenia, and slovakia!!

Last edited:
Have also seen that other website you suggest, but when you get into it - it wont let me select the UK as country of origin for some reason, only poland, slovenia, and slovakia!!

Hi Mark,
This is what I see on that other site.

If we cannot locate it, we will have to come up an alternative fix.

EDIT:

Have you ordered the PCB's ???

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back