Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Covert Listening Device Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might all perhaps notice the date of this thread, 2003!

Yes, but the really weird thing is, it was the OP (Grabasphalt) who re-started the thread, not some random newbie one post wonder!

How weird is that !!!

JimB

One of the best movies. The ohter was "Il postino"

Ever see the movie 'The Conversation" with Gene Hackman? 8)

Yes! The topping of the cake is when, at the end, they call him and he can hear on the phone what he has been playing. The idea of how to reconstruc the whole conversation is brilliant.

Much to my regret, I tried to buy a copy but it was not available.

Take a semester to learn writing

About two years ago, the house I am living in was visited by police when they searched for unlawful property. During the search, officers were veiwed entering the house with a large wooden toolbox that required two of them to carry into the house. After two hours of unsuccessful searching, the officers packed up their gear and left us a destroyed house to clean. The first thing I did was to disconnect all of the power consuming items within the house and check the power lines at the fusebox for any signs of resistance. Three rooms showed resistance at the box. Then I checked the phone lines going to the house and found resistance that has capacitive properties to it even though the lines were clearly open at the jack. Additionally, when a simple frequency detector was raised to the round air vent in one of the rooms, it indicated that a signal was present. When I removed the air vent, I was unable to see anything with a mirror as far as 8 feet back, so I put a wireless camera on an r/c vehicle and ran it down the tube. What I found was a 10" brushless windmill that generated power to a lithium-ion battery supply which powered a small transmitter with dual band digital capability. (a cellular phone with a remote interface hooked to it). So while my air conditioning ran during the day, this little gem soaked up all the juice it would need to continue transmitting non stop for an unlimited amount of time. The phone lines that showed resistance were the black and yellow lines that are seldomly used in most residential households. This way the house could be monitored right from the office desk of the agency employing this capability. I still have not located the source of the drain on the power lines going to the three rooms. I've done everything but pull the wires out completely. Does any of this sound familiar, any suggestions ?

Who in heaven is going to take the pain to read a text like this with no paragraphs? I never bother with something like that unless it is a datasheet from Microchip.

Like the majority of politicians, trolls also go to school

Last edited:
Another thing or two I was shown over the years.

We all know that our finest tech secrets are being used by law enforcement. And they take the credit for it although they have no clue how it all really works, they just get to use it ! In 1993, a friend of mine was dating a girl who had previously gone out with a cop that was showing off how easy it was to listen to a phone conversation from any phone. He picked up the phone, waited about 60 seconds until the dial tone went to the annoying beeping sound, then dialed the following numbers: 321-123-321-123, then dialed the "seven" digit local number to the phone he wished to monitor. I tell you the truth, it worked ! I could hear the conversation, but they could not hear me. One other thing I heard on my own accord. Radio Shacks old Pro 25 scanner can be found on ebay if you put it on your search list and wait for an email notification when one pops up. It is still one of the best scanners to use for listening to all kinds of stuff that are supposedly out of our reach ! The 900 mhz search option will blow your mind with no modifications at all. FYI only. Not to be used for anything illegal.

He picked up the phone, waited about 60 seconds until the dial tone went to the annoying beeping sound, then dialed the following numbers: 321-123-321-123, then dialed the "seven" digit local number to the phone he wished to monitor. I tell you the truth, it worked ! I could hear the conversation, but they could not hear me.
Whats your number I will try it.
It is still one of the best scanners to use for listening to all kinds of stuff that are supposedly out of our reach !
Who said it was out of our reach? Anyone can listen to any of the frequencies. Infact no one would know what frequencies you are receving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back