Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could you please direct me toward the good subject ? I think it's algebra...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys !
I'm working so could not go to class this week (but gladly, my other weeks are gonna be rescheduled to fit :) )

I e-mailed the prof in order to get a homework, if any there was and he sent me this.
Now, I just want to know the right name for this in english please (the course is in french!( so I could go on and study tonight and this week-end.

Looks complicated but I'm sure it's so simple and I want to enjoy doing those maths... and will hopefully find YouTube videos and stuff :) with the right subject to look for lol

thanks a lot !
Maths.png

This is all about 'indeces'. (plural of index)
I will do the first one;
(1/4)*3 x (1/2)*5.
Recognise that 1/4 is equal to (1/2)*2 (0.5 x 0.5) = 0.25
So we can rewrite 1/4 as (1/2)*2
Then,
(1/4)*3 = ((1/2)*2)*3
This can be written as (1/2)*(2 x 3) = (1/2)*6
So the original expression can be written;
(1/4)*3 x (1/2)*5 = (1/2)*6 x (1/2)*5 = (1/2)*11
This can also be written as;

(1/2)*11 = (1 *11)/ 2(*11) = 1/2(*11) since 1 *11 equals 1; ( 1 to any power is still 1)

Hope this helps.

Yes it does in fact help, thank you very much. I was able to figure it easily but it's all far back in my head.. but I kinda remember the rules with the exponents. I always found the roots to be difficult but I think it will be understandable this time.

At this point, I need to re-learn how to do, for instance, this: (-8,8) & (-3,-5) to y = ax + b
I know it's a slope and it touches the coordinates.
and as I'm writting I'm think, it probably has something to do with "y2-ya1/x2-x1" ?

Roots are simply fractional powers, positive or negative.
I always found drawing the graph if it's simple gives you a better understanding.

Well I thought it was easy but I must be doing something wrong because the third one, ( C ) is quite not what I come up with when looking at the answer.

How can he get to x^10 ?

Hi,

This gets solved from the inside out.
Starting with x^2 in the middle of the whole thing, that gets squared so we get x^4, that times the outside x is x^5.
The inverse of x^5 is x^-5, and the inverse of that is again x^5, and that taken to the second power is (x^5)^2 which is x^10.
The constant comes out to 144 so we get 144*x^10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back