Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cordless charger?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

epilot

hi there

today in news i heard that a person have built an electronic device that can charges mobile phones by wireless
it seemed it had a base device that is plugged in to mains and has another part that connects to the mobile and can get the voltage and current from the base and charge the mobile from 100 meters

i can not guess how it works as a voltage cordless!

i think it is very hard sending alot of electrons for charging a mobile toward 100m!!!!!

i had a google search to find the source but could not find it.

does anyone has any idea?

how it is possible transfering alot of electrons toward 100m?
it is posible sending them via electromagnetism such as radio signals but
they are too much low and weak even they can not be shown with a volt meter or amp meter,so????? :!:

An RF transmitter transmits power. Normally, the received power is microwatts or milliwatts, but if the transmitted power is huge or the power is focused to the receiver, considerable power can be sent thru the air. There was a proposal at one time to power satellites using microwave power focused on the satellite.

Russlk said:
An RF transmitter transmits power. Normally, the received power is microwatts or milliwatts, but if the transmitted power is huge or the power is focused to the receiver, considerable power can be sent thru the air. There was a proposal at one time to power satellites using microwave power focused on the satellite.

hi Russlk

thanks for your writes..

i think i heard something about using this ability for satellite very earlier
but i think there was some of problems with this job.

i can not assume a home device that could sends a huge power for mobile charging(it have to send more than 700mW,beside 100m distance!)

the news said that a mobile company(Ericsson i think) wants to purchase this design (more than 4million$), so i think it must be a thing more than a RF transmitter receiver...

i guess the receiver that gets electrons for mobile has no battery for its own power and has to use from the base(transmitter) power for its circuit and this is more confusing :?:

It can't really be done, not in a practical sense.
There's plenty of uses for inductive chargers that require the pickup to be very close, like 1/2" away at most.

Radio does broadcast power, but it's just that- broadcast. The energy is cast in all directions and thus only a tiny amount can be captured. A receiving antenna is not a device with the ability to suck power from a large area, it captures only what actually hits it. Even if you built a huge transmitter, the FCC would not allow that kind of signal level.

Now there are directional antennas, which usually means microwave frequencies. Extremely good design can mean it can be tightly focused, enough that in theory a satellite might be able to capture a small fraction of the broadcast power. There was a demo awhile back that sent enough microwaves to power a pretty light remote controlled plane in the air.

But for a phone or other portable device, the antenna would need to tightly track the beam towards the device, the transmitting antenna would be phenomenally expensive, and not only will the FCC not like the power levels involved, it would generally be considered "unhealthy" to get in the way of it or downstream of all the power not intercepted by the receiving antenna.

A range of 100m is certainly achievable, but a battery is far more practical.

BTW, neither radio or microwave sends electrons out. It's an electromagnetic wave "rippling" out from the transmitter. No particles are sent out.

Oznog said:
It can't really be done, not in a practical sense.
There's plenty of uses for inductive chargers that require the pickup to be very close, like 1/2" away at most.

Radio does broadcast power, but it's just that- broadcast. The energy is cast in all directions and thus only a tiny amount can be captured. A receiving antenna is not a device with the ability to suck power from a large area, it captures only what actually hits it. Even if you built a huge transmitter, the FCC would not allow that kind of signal level.

Now there are directional antennas, which usually means microwave frequencies. Extremely good design can mean it can be tightly focused, enough that in theory a satellite might be able to capture a small fraction of the broadcast power. There was a demo awhile back that sent enough microwaves to power a pretty light remote controlled plane in the air.

But for a phone or other portable device, the antenna would need to tightly track the beam towards the device, the transmitting antenna would be phenomenally expensive, and not only will the FCC not like the power levels involved, it would generally be considered "unhealthy" to get in the way of it or downstream of all the power not intercepted by the receiving antenna.

A range of 100m is certainly achievable, but a battery is far more practical.

BTW, neither radio or microwave sends electrons out. It's an electromagnetic wave "rippling" out from the transmitter. No particles are sent out.

oh yes,electromagnetic is true,sorry for that stuppid mistake

i found new info about that device but in persian langouge :(

here is an interview with iranian inventor:
http://www.stockholmian.com/news/persiska/2005/11november/001.pdf

Ramin AliPoor,an Iranian person has made an wireless mobile charger"

if i said what i have read in the link then you would be wondered..

he wants to sell his invention to Ericsson company and the price is
50 million krona.

he says that main charger is a 9x4x3cm device that converts 3.6V in to waves and there is an receiver (finger size)that can be mounted into mobile and can converts that waves into voltage..

wondering part of the story is that he says that the main charger can charges any mobile that has the reciever at range of 100m!
this means that if one main charger is put in to a store then it can charge alot of mobiles that have the reciever!!!!

he says that main charger converts 220V into 3.6V and then this voltage passes from some of special filters and then converts in to waves and transmits the waves in to a special frequency.

i can not understand how this small device can sends that much waves for even one mobile but inventor says that his invention can charge alot of mobiles with one main charger!

can someone get me a reasonable answer? :!: :?:

epilot said:
can someone get me a reasonable answer? :!: :?:

Don't hold your breath! :lol:

It doesn't sound very plausible?, and I fail to see why Nokia would be at all interested in such a device?.

Many 'crackpot' schemes get published, many even get patents, but neither of these means that it works!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
[Many 'crackpot' schemes
Nobody mentioned how many years it would take for the thing to charge a battery. I bet its current is very low at a range of 100m.

audioguru said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
[Many 'crackpot' schemes
Nobody mentioned how many years it would take for the thing to charge a battery. I bet its current is very low at a range of 100m.

if so, then it might be a gossip :) becuse no company wants to pay that price for a charger that charges a battery one or more years :lol:
if you put your mobile battery fron of sun for one year or more then it would be charged without any external device..i'm sure :oops:

all the story is a thing like that crystal radios that work only with air signals(rafio air signals)i think

https://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/radio/ten_minute_radio.html

https://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/radio/homemade_radio.html

but such as i know a 2Kohms crystal earphone does not need for alot of currents(few micro or mili ampere)...
but a cordless charger for a NIMH or LIPOLY cell needs for alot of currents
that we can not send these currents via electromagnetic..

heheh i am confused :roll: oops

I think that if that were actually plausible, any cell phone company would be paying a lot more than $4 million for it :lol:

zachtheterrible said:
I think that if that were actually plausible, any cell phone company would be paying a lot more than $4 million for it :lol:

perhaps the reason such as "audioguru" said is becuase no one know howmany years..... :) :eek:

i saw some of schemes that transmit the power using only one wire not 2
although i can not remind how.

but te same of that circuits for crystal radio(using no external battery)
if it is possible turning a radio on with only wireless radio signals then it may be possible to get more power from the air!
when we can get that electromagnetic via the air and convert then into power (voltage and current) say micro watt,we must be able to convert more powers via the air...

The Americans were transmitting very high power with laser beams, until clouds got in the way. I think their laser beam was also messed up by different temperatures and pressures in the air.

try a solar panel as the power ("battery charger") source.

It will take a while to charge batteries with it.

mstechca said:
try a solar panel as the power ("battery charger") source.
It will take a while to charge batteries with it.
Ever heard of size?
A bunch of little solar cells from calculators in series to get enough voltage would take weeks or months to charge a cell phone battery.
A big expensive solar cell made to charge car batteries on a motor-home could charge a cell phone battery in an instant.

I got some solar garden lights cheaply on sale. A really bright fading 3-colour LED inside a big glass ball. One of them was full of rain water but still works fine. (Darn rice glue!) They have a pretty big solar cell panel that could probably charge my cell phone in a single day of sunlight if I didn't use the high-current video camera on the phone.
I caught my son playing a golf game on my cell phone and drained the battery. The bill for the cell phone also shows that he surfed the internet on it that day.

No problem because if I don't use the phone when it is charging from its little wall-wart, it is fully charged in about 1 hour, and my son payed me the $1.50 for surfing. :lol:

Well wait a second...We all forgot the most famous device, The Tesla Coil!

Think about it, a telsa coil is basically something that can stimulate lightning. So if it strikes what needs to be charged then you could (in theory) charge something wirelessly..

.....along with destroying any electronic equipment in the area....

audioguru said:
The Americans were transmitting very high power with laser beams, until clouds got in the way. I think their laser beam was also messed up by different temperatures and pressures in the air.

the other day i thought about a such way for power transmitting but if you have any link or know more about his job please let me know

P.s i'll try to find the circuits and plans for power transmitting using only 1 wire and start anew topic to know how that does work..

Overclocked said:
Well wait a second...We all forgot the most famous device, The Tesla Coil!

Think about it, a telsa coil is basically something that can stimulate lightning. So if it strikes what needs to be charged then you could (in theory) charge something wirelessly..

.....along with destroying any electronic equipment in the area....

one wire Power Transmission uses from tesla laws i think

Truly Mobile Devices Need Cordless Power:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back