Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

controling stepper motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naoum

Hello
I'm an engineer student and I want to build a flying probe test (with one probe) as my graduation project.

I want to control 3 stepper motors by arduino (3 axes X , Y and Z) and I have an excel file that contains all of the components and their cartesian coordinates on a pcb board.

I'm still beginner at arduino . I ask for the way to control the stepper motors with these coordinates .

please I need your help
Thanks

Have you coded anything before?

To control stepper motors, you will need additional hardware to support your program; an H-bridge or transistors (as drivers) specifically. There are details on the Arduino Stepper Library page. You will use the functions of this library in your program.

How are you going to get the data from the Excel file into the Arduino?

If you are not stuck on the Arduino, you can download a free positioning program that outputs to the Step/dir driver via the P.C. parallel port.
See/Google Mach3 CNC.
You even have interpolated motion.
Max.

this is the problem this is the first time I use arduino . I don't know how I get the data from excel to arduino :/

I would make sure my computer could write to an SD CARD, then get an SD card shield, first. Now, please realize this post is to show one way of doing it; not to show YOU how to do it.

I would then code an Arduino routine to read the data from the card and parse it into an array of the coordinates.

Your code to move the steppers would then use this array.

That's why I asked if you have ever coded anything before. With the Arduino (or any microcontroller) there will be a bit of that.

Hi Naoum,
One way that you could use to get the exel file into the Arduino is to save the Exel file in CSV format. (A comma delimited text file.) You could then send the text file to the arduino using a serial link. You could do this from the command prompt (Also called a DOS window.) with a command like this "type 0004.csv > com1" The ">" symbol re directes the type output from the screen to the com port. I do not know if there is a way to save the file on the Arduino. I think I have seen interfaces to use an SD card with the Arduino so there may be a way to save it to an SD card.

Les.

Hi Naoum,
You could then send the text file to the arduino using a serial link. You could do this from the command prompt (Also called a DOS window.) with a command like this "type 0004.csv > com1"

That was what I was sort of getting at, there are free programs out there that are used for transferring machine date over RS232, mainly complete ASCII .TXT files, but 8 bit format would work if needed.
Just need an interrupt driven USART program in the receiving end, I have done this with Picmicro but have not used Arduino.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back