Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Conserving Energy in the Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you Bryan, unfortunately the UK is not so blessed, I have 2 20 W panels on my outside wall and can run my computer monitor each evening off the power they make IF we have had a sunny day, I'd like to buy more panels but they are quite an investment.

unfortunately there are too many people on the panet to have enough energy to have a life like many of us

There's a lot of people think like that but i'm not sure it's true. We shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking energy usage is "bad" and something we should run away from.

At the moment there is some truth in that, but only because we have a shortage AND because most of it is generated from environmentally nasty things like burning coal and oil etc. So everybody is running around "quick! turn everything off" like Chicken Little. ;)

But when you do the math there is an abundance of energy we just have been way too slow to harness it. I've got a small house with a roof about 8x20 metres (160 square meters) and even with the low efficiency of silicon solar cells that roof area alone would generate WAY more power than I could use year round. That's just my roof thats not including my whole yard or sheds, or other things like wind and tides whatever.

So just with harnessing 15% of the solar energy that falls on our own houses, (that's just an inefficient small slice of ONE possible energy source) we would have a surplus of energy for all mankind.

Bryan's got the right idea, he's just ahead of the pack. ;)

in a way your right Mr RB but we must understand that the earth has its balance, all that we do changes that ballance, at present we are probably using twice the energy we could use if we were more efficient users of energy, as it is we are unbalancing the weather system in a way we can hardly predict

My electricity comes from wires in the ground. It is reliable because the future consumption was planned properly.
The other end of the wires has a nuclear generating station or a huge never-ending waterfall driving generators. The electricity is fairly inexpensive.

I Think hydroelectric power stations are a great idea, time to see some more in those areas that can make use of them, I truly wish I lived in a house with a small stream next to it, i was paper delivering some time ago in a village and a row of houses had a neat 2 foot wide stream / water run off going through their gardens, such potential, probably not seen by the obviously rish people living there who most likely care little for the actual origin and environmental impact of their energy needs, I saw a coulple of KW of petential there

You never really realize how much energy we consume, compared to just 100 years ago, until you try to generate your own. If only everyone would try to do it, everyone would understand how absolutely spoiled we are.

Might have to give up watching your 400W TV 10 hours a day.

You never really realize how much energy we consume, compared to just 100 years ago, until you try to generate your own. If only everyone would try to do it, everyone would understand how absolutely spoiled we are.

Certainly a little stream would be of too little use.

Might have to give up watching your 400W TV 10 hours a day.

Who has a 400W TV? :p

thats very true, we have no idea just how much power we require which really never happend 100 years ago when we made little enviromental impact. If you think of the consumption in comuting to work alone its astronomical, how many people would travel 100 miles just to get to work and back 100 years ago ?

I travel 11 daily and I'm sure that would be a feat 100 years ago, or 4 hours of my dailay life walking where now i would be spending at leat 3 of those hours on my computer, I think to say that our consumption is 100 times or more a day than it was in 1909 is no exageration

Certainly a little stream would be of too little use.

its something, certainly compared to solar power and cost per W certainly a great addition to other alternative power methods, now if with the size gardens these people have you could install 2

its something, certainly compared to solar power and cost per W certainly a great addition to other alternative power methods, now if with the size gardens these people have you could install 2

As you're in the UK I suggest you have a trip to Wales and visit C.A.T. it's a good day out, and VERY informative.

I use many (about 27) solar garden lights to light up my garden at night.
Today was raining and cloudy and this evening they lighted for only about 10 minutes. Useless energy conservation.

Heck, you don't need to go in the garden when it's all wet and soggy anyway. But I applaud you for using solar lighting. Wish my neighbor did. He has his house lighted with a bunch of floodlights all night. For what? Who's gonna look at his house at 2:00 in the effing morning?

My neighbour is out of town. She has many incandescent heaters lighted 24/7 wasting a lot of electricity.

Me ex-girlfriend was like that. One reason she's my EX-girlfriend. Yeah, I take conservation seriously!

Hi,

Wow, you break up with gal's because they dont conserve energy good enough?
I know there is a joke in here somewhere :)

Maybe the ex-girlfriend used too many batteries and too many adult toys.

may one thinks that when he is married to the blasted woman she will cost and arm and a leg, another side to the word "high maintanance" woman, for some reason lots of people like to waste, they take pleasure out of it

Waste is if you have all your lights on when nobody is home. But having all your lights on so you can see well and have a better quality of life is not waste... It's called competence... or success. ;)

Now sitting in semi darkness so you can't see what you are doing and wearing 3 jumpers because it's freezing cold is NOT conservation.... It's rationing! That means having a lower standard of living because some moron mis-managed a resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back