Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting different IDC Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me if there is any way to connect a 2.0mm pitch female IDC header to a 2.7 (.10in) pitch female IDC header using ribbon cable?

I have a PC motherboard with a 20-pin, 2.7mm pitch male header that I need to connect to a remote handheld device that has a 20-pin, 2.00mm pitch male header. I would like to use ribbon cable but realise it may not be possible unless there's a solution I have not heard of. It's a long shot but new solutions are coming along all the time so I thought I'd ask the experts out there.

All I can see right now is two options:-

1. use dedicated 2.00mm pitch ribbon and IDC for the handheld device and a 2.7mm pitch discrete pin strip for the other end ie separating the leads and crimping them individually.

2. the exact converse of 1.

Thanks in advance

Trevor

You might have better luck if you look for a 2 mm to 2.54 mm adapter. That is, 0.1 inch = 2.54 mm.

There are lots of them. Some incorporate a small pcb board. The one I got at my local PC store (aka Microcenter) is of completely molded construction and looks little different that an ordinary plug. Are your pins single row or double row?

John

You might have better luck if you look for a 2 mm to 2.54 mm adapter. That is, 0.1 inch = 2.54 mm.

There are lots of them. Some incorporate a small pcb board. The one I got at my local PC store (aka Microcenter) is of completely molded construction and looks little different that an ordinary plug. Are your pins single row or double row?

John

I stand corrected. I thought it was 2.7mm I was dealing with. My pins are double rows. If it's not too much trouble, could you post a link to a manufacturer or specify actual component name. I certainly haven't come across anything like this in my travels so far.
Thanks
Trevor

I have not spent much time searching. There are hundreds of offerings. Here is one option: https://www.bitwizard.nl/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=141

Use a standard 20-connector, 2.54 mm pitch cable to the 20-pin male, 2.54-mm plug. If the target has male pins, that should attach directly. If it has female sockets, then you need a 2-row, 2-mm pin header (pins on both sides) to change the gender.

There are lots of options and details, such as shrouds, keying, and clips, that only you know for sure. So, you probably need to search on it and look at the pictures.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back