Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connect AV to Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemelec

I have a Wireless Camera and a Reciever for it, that normally connects to the AV Input of a TV for viewing picture and Sound from the camera.

Is it possible to connect this to a computer instead of the TV?

HOW?

The How is a matter of how your PC is setup. I don't see any reason it can't be done, I have done it. The only issue is the mating connectors. Some PCs have a motherboard with integrated audio and video while some use individual cards. All should have audio and video inputs, usually 3.5 mm plug jacks. Most wireless camera receivers use the traditional RCA type larger connectors. They make adapter cables to get from what you have to what you want. Finally the PC should have software to choose where the video and audio signals come from. So it depends on the PC configuration and the PC software. For the audio you would use the audio Line In. Do not use the audio Mic In.

Ron

You might be looking for something like this **broken link removed** to get the inputs to the PC. I haven't the foggiest if VLC or their included software will display it.

There are different types of these. Video + audio to USB. This one has composite video +L+R and S video.
**broken link removed**
I got one of these for my "arm" computer. Have not tried it yet. This has one audio in and 4 videos in.
447252_091204151334_USB-DVR-4CH-1.jpg

I have a couple of external video capture devices but the cost is much higher.

Yes I don't actually have a problem with the Audio part, Just the Video.
The Computer is an older Tower type home computer with Windons 7 Pro on it.

The Camera has one RCA for the Audio ad another RCA for the Video.
Changing these plugs to Other Types is EASY.

But I have never seen a Video Input on any Computer.
The 3.5mm jacks are just for "Mic, Aux and Heaphones."

AV inputs I thought were general and could mean composite or component or s-video and audio for starters. Anyway, I found this: https://www.deskshare.com/wcm.aspx
I'm wondering with a proper video input device, will something like VLC (Free) see it?

Thanks, I will take a look.

I Also have an OLDER Acer Computer on Win XP and it has a Built In Camera, But I don't see Any Exterinal Inputs for Video,

hi chem,
You can buy a plug in card that has up to 4 A/V inputs.
I use a Win TV/Hauppauge card plugged into my old tower PC using Win XP Pro, it works fine.
I am able to record an avi file and also take jpg snapshots, either from the TV images or CCTV camera inputs.

E
https://softadvice.informer.com/Vt_Plus_For_Wintv.html

Hi Chem

What you're looking for is a video capture PCI card. I think the problem you'll have now is that everybody is working on stereo sound as a minimum and from the connections you describe you have mono sound which may send your computer into a catatonic fit looking for the second channel. The older PCI cards had an option for mono or stereo sound.
These days they are more often called DVR devices and are far more complicated than you need. If you have access, I suggest you look on Ebay or similar but use the video capture description not DVR. I't likely that if you get a simple capture card the software for it is already in the Windows 7 package.

Hope this helps

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back