Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compact high current contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I made a pyrography pen for the mrs, its a modified dec alpha 2v regulator from a vintage server, works well.

But the pen connects to the commercial pyro pen tips via a porcelain choc block, its rated at 2a, I have around 30a going through it, its getting warm and melting the feedwires insulation.
Any ideas on how I can connect to a 2mm dia electrode to a 6mm2 cable without introducing enough resistance to melt the cables?, and still not use something the size of a matchbox.

I have no idea of what you are talking about:(

A picture would help.

Or you could make a couple of clamps from a copper strip, e.g. from a ~1cm length of pipe off-cut.

I have some copper sheet, and a piece of paxolin, I wonder if I could make something with those, maybe a couple of bolts to hold things down.
I have some brass tube too, wouldnt the resistance of brass be high.

The purpose of the brass , being stronger than copper, is its ability to crimp well and constrain the actual conductors together. If you want a 'bridge' then you need brass crimps with copper wiring.

I doubt paxolin would survive the heat for long.

Your right it doesnt.

I tried a bodge, I've soldered on 1.6mm gas welding rods to the end of my flex, they are 6" long, then they connect to the ceramic choc block, it still gets mad hot but the heat is away from the flex insulation and it works so far.

The tip I was using went open circuit, upon inspection they are nichrome wire with brass crimps on the end, I squished it in the vice and nbow it works again.

Also noticed that you need to remove the tip every so often and clean off the oxide, apparently this is part of housekeeping for pyrography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back