Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

College Degree: A Complete Waste so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to be liked in general. I know so many idiots at the top. You only have to be liked by the managers to get to high places.

The down side is that if the sh1t hits the fan you'll get the blame for it.

That is absolutely true. I have no claims to be perfect. If a product or upgrade goes out and its got an error and it was my mistake (which is possible because I still do the development) or my groups mistake, I have the egg on my face.

However, I and my team are super careful and there is a mutual respect for one another. In fact I have told the higher ups and the BOD that if my group doesn't want me as their manager, I don't want to do the job anymore. So far nobody has complained and we have a couple years behind us (same team) already.

And to answer another question, there are lots of reasons companies have to let people go and it isn't just a random agenda. Most often it is due to economic reasons and the reality is that in those time, if you've got people charged to overhead, they have to be carefully looked at. Office managers, junior techs, non-traveling field people, etc. Other times it is viewed as an opportunity to get rid of non-performers.

A few years ago I was on vacation abroad and got a phone call that somebody in my group was going to let go because we needed to downsize. I successfully negotiated a trade to keep that person (who did cost more) and look elsewhere for somebody else if required. Just a point that at least with me, I'll go to bat for my guys for raises and everything else -- I won't chunk you under the bus though. IMO, if your manager isn't doing at least that last part, they are not well representing you to the overlords.

Contrary to what everyone expects, I'd recommend getting the degree. Not because it would benefit you directly; but because recruiters are so closed-minded, no one will even listen to you without one.

If you find a good school, the right adviser, and a good attitude, school can be a rewarding if expensive learning experience.

As DigiTan said the degree helps. But few students know how important letters of recommendation from their teachers are. A recommendation that stands out will get you interviews. To get a good recommendation you first need to excel. You also need to take the time to understand the instructors. The second will help with the first.

It can be difficult when you are stuck in a class that is for the most part old hat. Try to look on it as an opportunity to polish what you know, impress the profs, and get a GPA boosting grade.

Introductory English, literature, sociology, and anthropology can be death on you mind and on your GPA. If you already know how to write and communicate at decent level check to see if your university has a Honors Program like this one. It is as much or more work as the standard classes but the instructors are top notch and the content is more interesting. It is a broadening experience and not for the narrow minded.

The Honors Program provides the opportunity for students to get more out of their college education. Through close student/faculty cooperation, small discussion-oriented classes, an emphasis on reading and writing, and an interdisciplinary approach to education, students move beyond the traditional college education and into a stimulating world of scholarship, critical thinking, and creativity.

It's much more than this though. Honors is about friendship, hanging out, self-discovery, and community

Rather than spending expensive semesters taking english and other classes, you can also usually enroll at a community college in the neighborhood, for less money and get the credit out of the way. That is what I did for English, 2 History courses, Government, and maybe a sociology or something. If you are traveling to college, than finding one in the same state makes life easier, but it is not required.

I've just noticed the linkbacks thing.

What's the point of it?

I agree it should be removed but how did it get created in the first place?

Rather than spending expensive semesters taking english and other classes, you can also usually enroll at a community college in the neighborhood, for less money and get the credit out of the way. That is what I did for English, 2 History courses, Government, and maybe a sociology or something. If you are traveling to college, than finding one in the same state makes life easier, but it is not required.

Always check with the collage or university that you intend to get your BS from. They should be able to tell you what community college courses will transfer and which ones you need to take. If you do not do this you may end up taking courses that will not transfer or fill the requirements at the next school.

Two more rejection letters this week. (Same company, different positions)

Engineer, College Entry-Level Program XX685XX

Thank you for your recent application for the above position.

We regret to inform you that after careful consideration we have decided not to pursue your application any further. Due to the high volume of applicants we are unable to provide detailed feedback at the resume/application stage. I can assure you that your resume has received full and fair consideration. We would like to keep your details to review against further suitable vacancies.

We would like to thank you once again for your application and wish you every success in your career search.

Regards,

Verizon Business
US Staffing
As usual, the dumb mooks sent this from a generic no-reply account. So I don't even get my say. It's funny how people treat each other when they think they can get away with it. But these days, everyone treats me like trash.

I actually had a chance at these jobs too. A friend from the university vouched for me. But when you're blacklisted, you're blacklisted. I'll fix this.

Last edited:
The only good to come out of this is I did find a few local reverse engineering assignments. It's no permanent position, but at least it'll put me on the path to getting some answers.

Hey, reverse engineering is what led to a) a grad school rec letter b) the advisor I did my phd with.

Also, there is a huge challenge in taking something, finding out how it works, and making it better. In addition, you don't often get that experience in undergrad.

Yeah, with reverse engineering I'm already working with enough EE disciplines to avoid getting typecast to just one specific subset of electrical work. And I doubt there's many people who could cut it as an independent contractor straight out of college. The jobs still don't meet my $48k/year income threshold and I still don't have health insurance. It's an improvement over last month, but still nothing compared to where I should be right now.

Perhaps your resume and cover letter needs a makeover. You might consider looking into a high end resume service, one that makes your grand kids look good. In other words, a good reputible service, not a cheezy outfit. Let's face it, EE's are not always great writers or salesman. Your resume needs to be an advertisement of how great you are, so go with a pro.

Last edited:
It's not the resume. I've had it reviewed by so many insiders it's unreal. Career advisers, Deans, supervisors past & present, even random recruiters at social events. People just hate my name. If I handed my resume to some guy off the street and changed the name, I guarantee you within 4 weeks their phone will be ringing like bell tower on Sunday. They said it's that good. I mean, I've only been a freelancer a couple weeks and I already finished two jobs weeks ahead of my own bids. And got my first recommendation. Could that happen if I weren't the engineer I were making myself out to be? Hell no! Yet the resume gets me nowhere.

A career agency would be nice. At Score, they said there are free agencies that are basically commissioned to the point that no one gets paid unless their clients get placed. Whether or not I really actually that depends on what they can do for me. What I really need...more than a job itself...is my background information. I've got to know why everyone's afraid to hire me.

A professional background check would reveal this thread; enough said?

"The most hated young engineer in America"

There are plenty of people with odd names who are gainfully employed. Unless you're named Chuck U. Farley, Osama bin Hidin, Hillary Clinton or the like, you may want to rethink yourself.

There are plenty of people with odd names who are gainfully employed. Unless you're named Chuck U. Farley, Osama bin Hidin, Hillary Clinton or the like, you may want to rethink yourself.

lol, Chuck U. Farley, I like that one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back