Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit operation explanation help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion1210

Hi,

I'd be very grateful if somebody much cleverer than me could explain how the attached circuit works. 28VDC at G and the output at D is a solenoid coil.

It is described as; when 28VDC is applied at G, 28V is initially present at D (to drive the solenoid) and then tails off to 6V (to hold the solenoid and prevent excessive heat build up).

I'm guessing the schematic may have been over simplified or I'm just too simple to get it ;-)

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• transistor.PNG
    transistor.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 176
This tells the story. Pay particular attention to the power in the simulated solenoid coil (green trace).

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 166
When 28V is applied to G, the Base of the transistor gets the full 28V, and the solenoid is powered through Q1. As Cap C25 charges, it turns off Q1, and the hold current comes through R77. When G is opened, diode D229 allows C25 to discharge through R77.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back