Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CH340 UART - USB Chip - Cable Length Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might try adding some bulk C to the +5V-ISO line... say a 10uF ceramic or so.

Also, for whatever reason the datasheets I've seen mention bypassing the 3.3V pin with 4700pF to 0.02uF.
I wouldn't think 0.1 would be a problem but maybe there's a stability issue with the internal regulator.

Come to think of it, I too have some USB extension cables that cause problems.

Tumbleweed was on the right track I'm sorry to admit. When I got to thinking about the Vusb bypass cap, I didn't really remember soldering it on. Before I tried a lower value I looked at the board to see where it was....and it wasn't! I inadvertently left it out. More when I bung a resistor in!
oops.jpg

As expected,adding a 0.1uF bypass caps from Vusb to ground solved the problem. I had successful communications with a crappy thin 8' cable.

I don't know how I skipped the cap on the board. It's especially bad - I should know better since I received a Microchip demo board missing the Vusb cap and I had to install one to get the board to work.

Now to apologize to my client who had a lot of trouble making this circuit work with different computers. I don't think all of his troubles were caused by this but it certainly added to his frustrations!

A satisfactory outcome- Tumbleweed was on the right tracks.:cool:

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back