Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Censorship of PMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboybob

Most Helpful Member
I can understand censorship, in the general ETO forum context, of real or perceived profanity.

I don't understand, however, censorship of PMs (as has happened to me).

Is the current ETO censorship method an automated process or is there a person doing this? Either way, why are PMs censored at all (a form of monitoring I have been led to believe does not exist)?

If I (or anyone) offends someone in a PM, isn't that up to the offender and offendee to work out?

I am, at the moment, assuming that my PMs are decidedly NOT "personal" and private. It may have been foolish of me to trust that that would be the case.

As far as I'm aware there's no way a moderator can read your PM's, never mind censor them - and if it did happen, you would no doubt receive a PM giving you a warning (so you'd know who had done it).

Presumably there is an automated 'bad language' filter on the forum, and that censored your PM? - so perhaps you ought to moderate your language? :D

I agree with Nigel, I do not believe there is any way for anyone to read your conversations except for you and the person you are speaking with. Reading private messages is not a moderator's privilege. As far as I'm concerned, that's up to you and the other person/persons who have been added to the conversation.

There are ways to read another members PM's but not easily.

Firstly at Administrator level, if you have access to the SQL database you can pull them out through that on many Forum software.
Secondly, if a member gives the Moderator their password ........
Lastly an Admin can change the email address on an account to one they have access to, request a password reset which will be sent to the new email address, log in, read the messages then change the email address back to the original one. Some forum software will alert the user, most won't.

Generally any swear words in the Forums filter list will be applied to any post or message entered onto the forum, private messages included.

Oh and some Forum software allows you to report an abusive PM in which case, depending on how the forum is set up, any Moderator or Admin who has access to read the reported posts can review the message and take appropriate action.

Maybe I am special...I don't know :wideyed:

Never ever have had an issue with PM's...
I like my laundry to be in the Public Eye for the World to see. Let it hang out and people can check...and judge or whatever suits them.

I have very few PM's....off the top of my head....no reported Members ever...even if cross and all that ....I just bug the amazing Moderation team when I am bored and have nothing to do and chirp....and the Forum is quite too...

Ian has had me learning about his job....Crane weights and Electronics and all that....amazing.
Nigel my TV sparring partner. Nigel will sometimes/always win. Period. I will always spar. I have to. Keeps me sane.
Jim is an unknown quantity...scared of him...I hear he eats people...and then burps afterward :wideyed: Jokes Jim :p
Matt my Tesla friend. And a friend even without Tesla.. kept me out of crap when I went haywire after all the stuff that happened a while ago.....

Matt shat me out. Corrected me on other Forums where he is a Senior Member....and that is that.

I can still go back....nah. Better here.

And that is all I have to say.

So much good and understanding here. We will fly again SOON.

Regards,
tvtech

Jim is an unknown quantity...scared of him...I hear he eats people...and then burps afterward
Close...
Be afraid, be very afraid! :)

JimB

I have a bad word problem. But, since the new rules I have turned my language down.

With friends "All bets are off " ................ (I say it; how I feel it.)

Sometimes it's nice to have a filter; you never know who's lurking :lurking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back