Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car Laptop Charger - Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stk2008

HI all I need some help.

I am modding my laptop in car charger using the original plug off the actual laptop charger as my multi purpose in car laptop charger don't have the right tip.

I have run into a snag though every you tube vid shows there only being two wires from the laptop barrel plug but mine has three and my in car laptop charger only has two like most other laptops do.

Here is a pic of the actual barrel plug off the laptop charger

**broken link removed**

and the wires

**broken link removed**

as you can see there is an outer case,inner case and the very small pin in the centre.

I put a multi meter across it and here is the out puts

the very outer ring is a white wire

the very inner ring is the red wire

the very small pin in the centre is the black wire.

Am i right in thinking that I only need the red and white wire and that the black pin is just earth and not used in a car as its DC not AC.

Please please advise.

Thanks very much in advance

P.S

I am not 100% sure on the actual wires going to what pin on the plug I can work that out when I find out if I can just leave one of the pins out thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the laptop. Some laptops (Dell for example) use a 3 wire system. Not 100% but the third wire may be used to send battery data (smart battery) to the laptop. I have heard this also prevents the use of non OEM Dell chargers. I also remember something about a resistor? Not sure. I know Dell uses a 3 wire system as I have a Dell at home and use one at work.

Ron

Also, most (if not all) high power rechargeable systems have some sort of temperature sensing involved.

HI thanks for the info.

Well the good news is I am not using the battery ay more.

I have gutted the laptop and have had it running in a custom box on me bench.
It will be going int my car.

I do remember checking the red and white wire and that gave me the correct 18v that the laptop runs on should I discard the black and hope its just for battery condition or the temp probe you lot talked about?.

Thanks

Hi there it came up wit like 800 results for HP chargers.

I had a qiuck look but could not see my HP 6735s.

I all ready have a in car charger that goes to the right voltage that my laptop needs.
I just hope it works.

I read that dell laptops use a 3rd pin to tell if the charger is OEM if not it works but wont charge the battery in my case that wont matter at all if its the same as me HP :).

Any ideas any one .

Thanks

Well that was a fing waste of 5 days :( I am so gutted.

I have just been in me garage as I could not wait to test.

I rejoined all me wires back up on me original charger but left the black signal wire disconected and the laptop wont even turn on :( if I rejoin it then of course it will.

Please ascuse me being peed off I have put lots of work into this job.

I have gutted me car and all sorts ready to fit this pile of crap.

I am so gutted.

I have no money to even purchase an in car charger that would work.....thats if there even is one for this new crappy none OEM prevention rubbish.

please any one please help :(

At this point I can tell you what I would do. Use the laptop with the normal charger but get a cheap inverter that will take the 12 volt automotive and convert it to either 120 or 240 (don't know your location). They are inexpensive and will do what you want. Something like this as an example. When I travel I run my laptop using one. Never had a problem.

Ron

Hi there thanks for replying.

Yeah I was looking at them but I may have found a cheaper fix?

**broken link removed**

Thats if course if it actually does work its in the list of supported laptops so should do and I am sure I can get £7 well soon any ways.

The inverters are to much mate I am skint and was trying to do this on a zero budget :(.

It's only about a 65 watt unit? Can't say it will work. You may want to look at the charger you have and see what the current is at 19 volts? My system uses a 130 watt charger but it is a pretty beefy laptop too. Your call. Personally I like the inverter route and use a 300 watt unit.

Ron

Hi there I am sure it uses only 3.5 and thats all so what the spec says on the charger on Ebay.

I looked and double checked the Ebay listing and my laptop is deffo listed as a supported laptop.
So that sounds like the cheapest route haha.

I have read that peeps on Dell (probably the same for me HP) have de soldered the special chip inside the charger and moved the chip,diode and the resister inside the laptop.

I may try this tbh.

So yes you very first reply Reloadron was correct for Dell I hope its the same for HP.

https://jack380.wordpress.com/2009/...l-ac-power-adapter-type-cannot-be-determined/

Good luck with it and hope the thing works out for you. You sure have placed enough effort into it. :)

Ron

Hi thanks I may as well link ya to what I have done here is its current state though I have got a little further and I am ready to actually fit it in the car then this all happened :(.

**broken link removed**

Nice build log. Unfortunately at work I can't view images but later today when I get home. The OBD should be cool. I keep telling myself I want to monitor that and never get around to it. :)

Ron

Hahahaha yeah its handy.

But at this rate it wont happen.
Oh well need to get the charger off Ebay and hope it works there is no reason it wont as it states it is for me laptop.

I will keep ya all posted :).

Thanks again mate you have helped and to all others who replied.

Well I give up ffs.

Just came to test it on the bench and I now have no fing pic its real dim on start up then noting.

I assume the inverter has gone.

I tested the output and set me meter to the highest setting of 700v and only got 5v or so where all info says it should be 800-900v i give up ffs.
Why does crap all ways happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back