Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capstan Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

summitraj

Hi all.

Does anyone here know of Capstan Motors? These are quite powerful small dc motors that drive the capstan of VCRs.
The motor has four wires. Two of them are for power, what is the other two for? The guy who sold me the motor told me it is for control. PWM? Any ideas?

Also, I am quite confused on one thing. From the characteristics of a DC motor, torque obviously increases with the decrease in speed. Then which of the two alternatives is better, and why?:
1. Using a step down gear to decrease speed and increase torque
2. Not using gears, and letting the motor revolve in a lesser speed by loading it while delivers the greater torque

I am asking for the case of small Permanent Magnet DC Motors, suitable for robotics.

Thanks!

Summit Raj Tuladhar
NEPAL.

Have a look at............

**broken link removed**

for some information on controlling capstan motors.

Good Luck.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back