Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor substitutions for max232 IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik3ca

I was looking at the datasheet for max232 because I'm going to try the standard way of interfacing the PC serial port to an 8051 microcontroller. From what I read in the sheet and online, I found out it works if the external capacitors I use with it are 10uF each with 50V rating.

Of all the capacitors I have on hand, The 10uF I have are rated for up to 16V. I do have 22uF rated for 50V. Is it possible to use the 22uF capacitors and expect the same behaviour out of the chip? I'll also be using 5VDC fed out of a 7805 voltage regulator (as VCC) to power the chip and I will connect unused inputs to VCC.

I've only ever used 1μF ceramic capacitors and I'm pretty sure 16V will be fine as they are used to generate the ±12V signals for RS232.

However, most PC these days don't have a RS232 port and (nearly) everyone uses USB to TTL converters that don't need a MAX232.

Mike.

Well my PC does and my project will use a PC that does even if it means me ordering an old one online. I guess I could go with 1uF then. After all, I will be using anywhere between 19.2kbps and 115kbps speed depending on how well I code the software in my micro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back