Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can you identify this component, and let me know where i can buy one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockpebble

i'd like to repair a blackgold bgt3630 pcie dvb t2/s2 card. what i think may be a capacitor has broken off from the board. it has '100 VFP . 1G5' written on it, i attach a photo of i, and of the board, which has two more of these things. googling it didn't help... i hope one of you lovely people can, or let me know how i can identify it myself. thanks :) photo (2).JPGphoto (1).JPGphoto.JPG

Looks like a 100μF surface-mount electrolytic capacitor. Don't know the voltage rating. A quick google for dimensions of similar caps might give a clue.

hi alec, or anyone else who might help... the diameter is 8mm., it's 10mm high, which is the value 'L' i think? the 100 means it's 100uf, thanks for that, and googling that confirms. what the vfp means, or the 1G5, i'm at a loss, though an additional number might describe voltage, and the f farahs the v and the p in vfp.... idk! as it's on a pcie card the voltage to one of those is 0 - 3.6v (common mode) according to pcisig.com {and am not sure what this describes} so maybe not? any help would be most welcome.
also advice on where to buy a micro electronic soldering iron... assuming i can figure out where to obtain the capacitor.

Are you sure the marking is '1G5'? More likely is '105', which would be its temperature rating.
Do you really need a new cap? If the cap merely fell off the board because of failed solder joints and is physically/electrically undamaged you could probably just re-mount it upside down ('dead bug style'), by soldering thin wires to its two connector pads then soldering the wires to the PCI pads/traces. A normal fine-tipped iron should suffice. Get the polarity right; the black stripe on the cap denotes negative.

thanks alec. it is '1G5'. i bought a battery powered soldering iron today, it has a fine tip. i got two capacitors which might be suitable from maplin... a 100uf 6.3v, with (m)p
85 (followed by a degree symbol, can't find one on this keyboard) C V5E written on it. does it matter that it's not aluminium? the other is a 25v, i think this one is not suitable, but as these were the two near matches they had, i bought it anyway. i left the old capacitor in maplin, phoned them later, and they are keeping it for me to collect!
i think probably i should take your advice and will search this site for a thread on 'dead bug style' soldering, as long as i get the old capacitor back tomorrow. it may be tricky to tell from the board the correct orientation for the capacitors polarity... i'll let you know the result. your help has been invaluable!

'85' is the temperature rating. 6.3v rated one should be ok if the board has a 5V supply. The 25V one is probably too big to fit?
does it matter that it's not aluminium?
Unlikely, but don't know for sure, since we don't know which part of the circuit it's from.
it may be tricky to tell from the board the correct orientation for the capacitors polarity.
See if you can find online a photo of a good board of the same type. Otherwise you'll have to try and trace the pads back to something which should be definitely at ground or supply positive potential.

thanks,i had thought of that, and will look now. i'm on the way to maplin where i left the old capacitor. i think pcie boards run at 3.6 v but this is just something i got from a quick glance at a website... i presume it'll be ok even if it is 3.6v not 5v. there should be enough wire left on the capacitor if i get it back that i can reuse it, might be the best option.

Having had a quick scan of the web regarding tantalum caps, if your 6.3V one is a tant then the general concensus is that it would be unsafe to use it for decoupling (the most likely use of a 100uF cap) :(
pcie boards run at 3.6 v
Certainly they use 3.6V and have at least one 3.6V output, but my limited web search was inconclusive re the board supply voltage being 5V or 3.6V. Any pcie experts out there?

i have the old component back now, and i expect thats what these caps are, i can check against the product code on the receipt when i get home. thanks again.

a look on the internet seems to show that the caps on this board maybgt3630.JPG have been replaced already (see photo).
at a wild guess i'd say these were ceramic capacitors. i may be wrong. here's a photo of my work so far.... shite bsoldering iron.jpg tomorrow i may go to exchange the iron. any recommendations for someone on a budget?

at a wild guess i'd say these were ceramic capacitors
I'd agree that the caps in the first pic in post #11 are ceramic. Can't make out what's in the second pic, it's too blurred :(

i have the old component back now, and i expect thats what these caps are, i can check against the product code on the receipt when i get home. thanks again.

my usage of the english language failed me somewhat there. i have established that they are aluminium caps, and am about to replace them with the new capacitors that i bought. i spent some time trying to solder thin wires to the old capacitors with an inferior battery operated soldering iron.n these capacaitors have a higher voltage rating than perhaps they should, i'm hoping that this does not have a knock on effect on the rest of my pc's circuitry. i suspect it might... i have heard of higher voltage capacitors being used in a television set without any problems, but have also been advised that in computers it is important to get the voltage exactly right. i'm going to attempt the repair, post a picture of it, and wait for you, alec to get back to me... whilst doing more research online to see if installing the card would likely cause damage!

Using higher voltage rated caps than the originals is unlikely to be a problem, unless their leakage current or ESR is excessive or their larger physical size makes them too big for the space available :).

thankyou for your help, alec. i have replaced one of the caps, but had food poisoning lately, so have not got round to replacing the other yet.

Commiserations. Been there, done that. Hope you're recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back