Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can we get rid of the friend stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
Last week I received a friendship request from a new member. I then had the choice of accepting it or declining it, ignoring it wasn't an option. I declined it. Yesterday I got a PM from said member saying "thank you for being my friend" which I took as sarcastic and responded accordingly. This resulted in an exchange of PMs on the subject (none of which was objectionable).

I did not ask for this exchange and don't understand the significance of the friendship system.

Can we just disable it so the situation I (and the new member) have been put in doesn't happen again.

If there is a legitimate reason to have this friendship system then please explain it and also how I can opt out of it.

Mike.

I kind of agree the friends thing here isn't good for much. The only thing I can see it being kind of handy for is it creates kind of a "address book" of people. Then if you want to PM or seach recent posts of a member, you don't have to dig though threads looking for one of their posts to access their profile page.

hi,
I have had some requests for 'friend' recently from brand new members, I just say no thanks. I cant think it serves any useful purpose.

If like Andy I want to look at Pommies recent posts, I use the SEARCH for Pommie.

Just for fun I Googled: Pommie Electro-Tech

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree the search feature works too, its just the only good use for the friends thing I have come up with.

I don't see the problem, if you don't want to accept freind requests then you don't have to.

THat's like saying you don't have to clean out your mailbox if you don't want to accept any mail.

Hello there,

I am glad someone brought this up about 'Friendships' on this forum.

I have a different reason for talking about this however, and that is
that what if you accept a friendship offer and that friend turns out
to be illegitimate in some way...does this end up being a reflection
on your reputation too?
For example, recently a company asked to be my friend and i wouldnt
mind being that person/companies friend, but what if that company
turns out to be false or illegitimate or conniving or in the future
have some other negative quality, would it be a reflection on me?
I mean say something came up where that company was caught
selling bad li-ion cells to people, and word got around, and then
people saw that my screen name was a 'friend' to that screen name,
how would that look for my reputation? Thus i was forced to
decline.
I think it is a neat system really, but i would hate for something like
above to happen.

Many noobs have asked for me to be their friend. I don't want to be the teacher of a kid in a 3rd world country so I just ignore them.

I don't know if I should feel relieved or rejected, never received even one request... Don't really have time for that kind of stuff anyway.

Some people are a bit persistant in their wishes.

We have a saying in Germany which is literally translated: "Go where the pepper grows."

It is always good to be distinctive when declining a friendship offer. I'm usually a bit touchy about friendships, and I guess it is the priviledge of older people to offer younger ones friendship.

Last not least I think friendship via the internet is worth nothing. From my understanding friends help each other in any situation - even sometimes if not explicitely asked for help.

There is one exception in helping: it's money. We also say in Germany: "Friendship stops at the money."

Hans

I don't have or need a lot of friends. The ones I have, are dependable and can be trusted without limits. There others, more like people I associate (tolerate) with, but wouldn't lend money or trust with my car or house.

Some people need a lot of friends, and I find that many of these are are operators and manipulators. They treat other people like resources, and it's kind of sick seeing one of these types trying push their way into your life.

Friendship take time to grow, it either happens or it don't. I've never asked, or really declared a friendship, it's just something you know when it's there.

When some stranger, or new user, just out of the blue requests that you be their friend, it really puts most people on the spot. Most of us, are decent enough not to want to cause offense (well, most of the time...), but a friendship is an important and valued thing, not to be passed out like business cards.

Perhaps, the new users are just testing out the site options, and not really sure what to expect. When someone asks me if I'm their 'friend', I tend to expect to be hit for providing a service...

When some stranger, or new user, just out of the blue requests that you be their friend, it really puts most people on the spot. Most of us, are decent enough not to want to cause offense (well, most of the time...), but a friendship is an important and valued thing, not to be passed out like business cards.
Just say no, they shouldn't be offended as they don't know you and they probably wouldn't even so much as shed a tear if you died.

If a stranger asks me for anything, I'll say no 9 times out of 10 because I don't owe them anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back