Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstark18

I've never built a robot but would like to do the following. My question is, where should I start?

I want to build a robot that cleans the dust off my always dusty desk. I want the robot to crawl so it won't have a problem with pens and clutter. I want it to sense the edge of the desk so it doesn't fall off. I want it to be powered by either 1 or 2 AAA batteries. I want it to be small. I will figure out the cleaning part after I get the robot built.

Where do I start? I can't seem to find any kits or plans on the net that have those features. I hope someone can help.

:idea: I would start by getting two servo motors and modifying them for complete rotation. and find your wheels..... I good place for this is your local hobbie store, where they sell R/C Airplanes. There you can find two servos and foam wheels so you don't scratch the desk :wink:

You are going to need to create a base. Check out Budget Robotics for more info on bases. They sell a easy to work with material, and the servo mounts..... you can even get the servos there.

Next you are going to need the brains...... A PIC16F877 will be beefy enough. You will have to program it so that it does what you want.

Edge detection can be done in different ways, IR detector, switch, camera :evil: (that can get complex), etc.

For dust pick up you could use a small vaccum cleaner or put a disposable "dust" rug.... I believe they are called sniffer or something like that.

Good Luck

Ivancho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back