Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone identify this part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate repairing things for 'experts' who have already tried to fix it. :mad: He might give your money back with a smile if you promise never to return. :eek:

I hate repairing things for 'experts' who have already tried to fix it. :mad: He might give your money back with a smile if you promise never to return. :eek:

WTF? Did you even read my post? The guy SCAMMED ME STRAIGHT UP! I went back to his shop and confronted and he tried to deny it at first but then after he realized that I wasn't just some regular idiot he finally just gave my money back. So I dunno WTF your trying to imply with your post. Maybe perhaps your into scamming people as well or something and your trying to defend a fellow scammer :rolleyes:

BTW to everyone else who helped out THANKS! I was able to replace JUST the TWO CAPS pictured above and now the monitor is working great again. :)

Last edited:
I think that you have underestimated the value of his expertise. Several times in this thread it was suggested that you change the capacitors, but you took the monitor to a professional instead. Now you don't want to pay him.

Is your problem that he said six parts and only changed two? Do you understand the breakdown of the repair cost? I would break it down $50 diagnosis, $2 parts, $15 shop overhead, $10 repair labor. So he really spent only $1 on parts so you've been ripped off?

I'm sorry if we disagree so strongly.

[e]When you first came here, you couldn't identify the transformer, if I recall.[\e]

Last edited:
I think that you have underestimated the value of his expertise. Several times in this thread it was suggested that you change the capacitors, but you took the monitor to a professional instead. Now you don't want to pay him.

Is your problem that he said six parts and only changed two? Do you understand the breakdown of the repair cost? I would break it down $50 diagnosis, $2 parts, $15 shop overhead, $10 repair labor. So he really spent only $1 on parts so you've been ripped off?

I'm sorry if we disagree so strongly.

[e]When you first came here, you couldn't identify the transformer, if I recall.[\e]

Boy for having 2,200 posts you sure do have a hard time following a thread!

The problem is that the guy LIED to me and told me that he replaced 2 CAPS, 2 DIODES and 1 IC CHIP and that the cost for repair was
$36 in parts
$35 labor
$4 tax

When in reality the ONLY thing that he replaced were the TWO CAPS! which ended up costing me a whole $2 from a local electronics store! He didn't replace any diodes and he didn't replace any IC Chips, HE LIED so that he could charge me more money for the repair.

What's even funnier is I even posted on page 1 of this exact thread that I had a bad feeling about the guy from the start. So obviously my suspicions were correct. The only reason I took the monitor to him is because he said he would only charge me $20 bucks to look at the monitor and tell me exactly what was wrong. I figured if it were something simple then I would just do the repair myself after I knew what to fix. But then the guy told me it was all kinds of stuff so I just said OK go ahead and repair it. But then when I got the monitor back and decided to check his work that's when I realized he LIED/SCAMMED me!

So don't "apologize that we disagree so strongly", if anything you should apologize to yourself for not knowing how to read! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Boy for having 2,200 posts you sure do have a hard time following a thread!
I still can't find the post where you said he itemized the five parts for $36. Your posts seem to all say he said he needed 5 parts. Did he buy all 5 and install the capacitors firrst and it worked? Is he stuck with 2 diodes and an IC?

If they were itemized on the invoice and weren't given to you, then you were ripped off. Suddenly you have provided information that supports your outrage.

We no longer disagree, and now I should be sorry that I did not read your mind? Or not.

Last edited:
It's been a long long time since I have worked in a repair shop, the later years were in TV broadcast and similar where I was maintaining company gear that we depended upon. In those jobs when I had something apart I would have changed all the filters esp if it was 3 years old or older. What is all the fuss about $10-$20 in parts? Replace the damn things and forget about it for awhile.

I compare it with a car tuneup. Change the plugs, rotor, cap, plug wire and such or are you going to waste the time figuring out what is bad? They are aged and life expectancy is shortened. Electrolytic filters dry out with heat. If 2 are bad replace all of them.

Last edited:
I still can't find the post where you said he itemized the five parts for $36. Your posts seem to all say he said he needed 5 parts. Did he buy all 5 and install the capacitors firrst and it worked? Is he stuck with 2 diodes and an IC?

If they were itemized on the invoice and weren't given to you, then you were ripped off. Suddenly you have provided information that supports your outrage.

We no longer disagree, and now I should be sorry that I did not read your mind? Or not.

WOW simply WOW! Are you like one of Jerry's Kids or something cause your seriously retarded. I feel dumber every time I read one of your posts. I'm done talking to you.

where i work, we are required to return the bad parts in a bag on COD repairs. we also don't inflate the bill. inflating the bill is bad business. we also have estimate fees. if we open it up and find out what's bad and you decide not to have it fixed, it's $35. we have 3 labor rates for repairs, $50, $80, and $120 depending on how long the repair takes. we call the customer with an estimate before ordering parts. we don't quote estimates on lightning hits or water damage. everything is in "black and white" and we have very very few irate customers and lots of happy ones. i've been in electronics for over 35 years, worked for a lot of different companies. i've even quit a few when i saw something not right with their business practices. it doesn't pay in the long run to fudge a repair bill. it takes hard work to get a good reputation. it only takes one mistake to lose it.

btw.... aren't those caps a little oversized? it's not generally a bad thing to use a bit higher value and voltage of cap, but the base of one of them seems to be right up against two diode leads. if the shrink wrap on the cap gets pinched it could short against one of the diode leads.....

Last edited:
where i work, we are required to return the bad parts in a bag on COD repairs. we also don't inflate the bill. inflating the bill is bad business. we also have estimate fees. if we open it up and find out what's bad and you decide not to have it fixed, it's $35. we have 3 labor rates for repairs, $50, $80, and $120 depending on how long the repair takes. we call the customer with an estimate before ordering parts. we don't quote estimates on lightning hits or water damage. everything is in "black and white" and we have very very few irate customers and lots of happy ones. i've been in electronics for over 35 years, worked for a lot of different companies. i've even quit a few when i saw something not right with their business practices. it doesn't pay in the long run to fudge a repair bill. it takes hard work to get a good reputation. it only takes one mistake to lose it.

btw.... aren't those caps a little oversized? it's not generally a bad thing to use a bit higher value and voltage of cap, but the base of one of them seems to be right up against two diode leads. if the shrink wrap on the cap gets pinched it could short against one of the diode leads.....

EXACTLY that's how it should be! This guy knew damn well what he was doing and he straight up lied to me thinking that I was gonna be just the average customer who doesn't know anything about electronics.

I'm not sure what the deal with those caps were. I ended up replacing them with 1000uf 10v caps that I bought myself from a local electronics store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back