Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can not edit 'conversation' posts anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hi,

What happened to the edit button for editing posts in the conversation?
It used to allow some editing in case you made a spelling error or grammar error or such, or needed to clarify something.

I see it here. Are you logged in?

I can still edit hours later.

What browser addons are active?

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes i am logged in when i see it missing.

This is for the conversations, not for the normal thread posts.
If i post a reply to a conversation, i can not edit it even 10 seconds after posting.
Sometimes i need to correct spelling/grammar, etc.

You can only edit conversation posts within 5-10 minutes I believe. After that they're set in stone.

Hope this helps!
Matt

If the system was smart, it would allow editing until delivered to at least one recipient. Editing, a priori, for 5-10 minutes doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Hello,

No i remember editing the conversation a few times due to typos, which i frequently make now that i switched keyboards a few times recently. So something changed maybe in the past few months or so.

Also, it will not allow editing even after 10 seconds. I remember that there was a time limit before, and it was maybe 5 to 10 minutes, but now it appears to be zero which does not allow any editing at all.

You can only edit conversation posts within 5-10 minutes I believe. After that they're set in stone.

Hope this helps!
Matt

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But yeah something changed and that doesnt hold anymore. Now it does not allow any time at all. Maybe you could look into this? I recently changed keyboards a few times so i make typos more often now so it's nice to be able to edit at least one or two times :)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But yeah something changed and that doesnt hold anymore. Now it does not allow any time at all. Maybe you could look into this? I recently changed keyboards a few times so i make typos more often now so it's nice to be able to edit at least one or two times :)

I completely agree. I will send Dave a PM with a link to this thread. I haven't seen him around in a while, but hopefully he can figure this out.

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks much, use this function quite a bit on here with the new keyboards :)

Hi All...

There was a toggle that I flipped off when people were able to edit other people's conversations. Also there is a 30 minute window to edit posts in conversations... afterwards no editing is possible.

Thats MrAl for bringing this up

-D

Thanks for fixing that. I will have to try it out next.
LATER:
Ok yeah it works now, nice. Thanks again as that makes it a lot easier to reply in conversations.

While we are on this topic: Were you once able to send attachments via PM?

I seem to remember that during the major rule revision, the rules were passed via an attachment to conversation members.

I can check... but my red flags go off anytime there's an option to let users upload anything and be able to access it right away. Loaded JPG's or PDFs could compromise things... a la TimThumb attack on WordPress from a few years back.

Since this is a help site, sometimes there is reason to email documents that you don't want to be public and at the same time a wish to stay anonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back