Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I Use the output ac of my Inverter to recharge it? Help needed Urgently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blossom8

Hello every body, Please I need your help to solve a problem. I have an inverter which I use with my 12V battery. Recently, after I changed the acid, it started running down too quickly. I have it as the only power source. So I want to know if I can build a charger that I will use the output ac to recharge it. Please I need you to help me fast. Much information would be appreciated. my e-mail is realid2netting@yahoo.com.au

It sounds like you want to build a perpetual motion machine - it won't work!

Let's see:
1) The battery powers an inverter that heats (wastes) 60W.
2) The inverter powers a battery charger that heats (wastes) 20W.
3) The total loss of power is 80W.
Then the battery dies very quickly but the city is heated a little.

I have an inverter which I use with my 12V battery. Recently, after I changed the acid, it started running down too quickly.
Uum why did you change the battery acid? Was the battery not holding its charge to specs? A lead acid battery typically doesn't need its electrolyte changed for its entire service life. Often the battery just needs to be desulphated through special means. As long as you top off the electrolyte fluid using distilled water only, the process of charging it will keep the battery at proper specific gravity. If you poured in nothing but new acid solution, you likely royally messed up the pH and specific gravity in the cells.
These stores that sell battery acid replacement kits deserve to experience a series of leaks from the containers!!

One possibility: You could use the AC output to drive a small motor, which when connected to an low-amperage alternator should recharge the battery. The only drawback: your usable battery life is severely shortened. I came up with this scheme when I designed ( on paper) an electric scooter, which sadly never materialized.

The secret to perpetual motion is to use a perpetual power source.
How long could your house run before you used all the energy produced in the suns life time?
I bet its a rel real real real long time! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back