Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can i make an ignition coil into a tig welder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoopdog

Hi,

I want to weld some aluminium, unfortunately all i got is a smelly old MIG, i intend to eventually save up enough to buy a decent TIG welder, because most of the welding i want to do is like the ole high school G-clamp project, only using m4 thread instead m14, precision stuff, or rather just really small and no place for a workshop sized mig.

ANyway, im well aware of the fact that an ignition coil will not produce an output capable of making reliable welds on a large scale or even reasonably to any degree, but im only messing around, welding a few chunks of aluminium together, gouging, and maybe welding bolts onto sheet metal, i had some legitimate reasons before but ive totally forgotten them now, anyway, my question is, what is the best way to use an ingition coil to do tig welding?
I definitely intend to use it for gouging sheet metal, and i have kilos of graphite here to do your typical graphite gouging, but how can i configure it to give it the best chance of success in welding aluminium?

Again, just tiny little stuff, nothing huge.

An ignition coil might be used to start the arc in place of a high-frequency generator, but will not provide enough current for welding. TIG requires constant current, which can be either DC or AC depending on the metals being joined.

You do not need high voltage, once the arc is started. Ignition coils provide high voltage.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back