Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating Power Transfer With Varying Impedences

Status
Not open for further replies.

muso52

Hi People,

If an amplifier delivers 3 watts into a load of matching impedence at 4ohms then 3 watts would be dissipated across the load . However what would be the result of doubling the impedence of the load to 8ohm? The power across the load would not be halved becauseI believe it is a logarithmic relationship. At a guess I think it would be something like 2.4watts but can any one tell me (show me) the equation please?

Thanks in advance,

Willy.

(P=I*V AND I=V/R) P= (V^2)/R , i would assume the voltage output of the amp is the same so P is inversely linked to R therefore if if you double the Resistance, the power would halve. So the power would be be 1.5 Watts. That's my take on it...

But... i'm not sure until we have readings, what is the max voltage output from the amp? And/or the current?

Hi People,

If an amplifier delivers 3 watts into a load of matching impedence at 4ohms then 3 watts would be dissipated across the load . However what would be the result of doubling the impedence of the load to 8ohm? The power across the load would not be halved becauseI believe it is a logarithmic relationship. At a guess I think it would be something like 2.4watts but can any one tell me (show me) the equation please?

Thanks in advance,

Willy.

Sure, I can. We have a total of 6 watts of power and 8 ohms of resistance. That makes an amplifier voltage of 4*sqrt(3) . By using the voltage divider method, we determine the voltage across the load is (8/12)*4*sqrt(3) . So the power of the voltage across the 8 ohm load is 8/3 watts.

Ratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back