Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadsoft eagle 7.5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure many of you know that when making schematic on this program one could automatically transfer it onto a pcb and alter changes then. Every time I do this, my ICs do not go to ground or top rail, this might be since in my schematics I use the wires tool to draw top and bottom rail but the program does not recognize this? If this was the case I could use the to ground Symbol to fix this issue but what about top rail?

If this is not the issue what is it?

Are you using the invoke tool to show hidden pins (Vcc and GND)? Assuming you are, then use the net tool to connect pins:
upload_2016-3-15_18-2-26.png

There are ways to check whether the wire tool has connected things and fix them (i.e., use move to "wiggle" the part), but it is easier to do it right from the start.

John

Secondly when making a schematic I seem to find resistors and capacitors and other discrete components however when it comes to the PCB these components dont show uo since they dont have the layout made for them but it's bugging me since I cant find the components that have there layout already done!

Here's an unsolicited hint: when you copy and paste something, be sure all layers are visible. The layer tool is quite useful in editing, for example, by not showing a layer, you can delete everything else but what is not shown. The downside is that copy only copies what is visible.

John

Are you using the invoke tool to show hidden pins (Vcc and GND)? Assuming you are, then use the net tool to connect pins:
View attachment 98231

There are ways to check whether the wire tool has connected things and fix them (i.e., use move to "wiggle" the part), but it is easier to do it right from the start.

John

I do have the invoke tool but i do not understand it's purpose, I know that one must use the GND and VCC symbols but when doing that alone it does not do anything when converting to a PCB.

In regards to the buttons you have showed a picture of they are not on my bar on the left hand side.

Ths symbols shape may have changed however is it the 'nets' button which i used to connect components and ICs to GND and VCC?

The highlighted button is called the "net" tool. I didn't like the new icons that were introduced a couple of revisions ago and kept the old icons.

Regarding the INVOKE tool/command:

I f you pick a typical logic gate, the image shown in the library will look something like this:
upload_2016-3-16_14-56-58.png

Note, Vdd and Vss are shown and labeled, "P." But, when you place it on a schematic, you will see just this:
upload_2016-3-16_15-8-23.png

The supply pins are not shown by default.

If you want to see the supply pins, you can enter the command, "invoke IC1 p" Note: "P" stands for power "gate" (not case sensitive). If you look up the invoke command, it will refer to gates. We are not used to talking about the supply being a gate.

upload_2016-3-16_15-15-52.png

Alternatively, you can click on the "invoke" icon, click on the IC for which you want to see the gate, click on the gate in the menu, and get the same result:

upload_2016-3-16_15-14-47.png

That process is easy to remember when using logic chips frequently. I don't use them often, so I keep a cheat sheet.

One use is if you have a schematic and only want to use 2 gates of a 4 gate device. You will probably get erc errors for the 2 gates you don't show. The invoke command allows you to put them off to the edge and remove those errors.

Frankly, I don't see that is is a terribly useful asset, but I live with it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back