Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CadSoft EAGLE 7.5.0 Lock Bug Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
The latest release of EAGLE is 7.5.0. but after about three months of use this version has gradually shown a bug which gets worse as you add more projects and sheets. The symptom is that sheets get randomly locked and cannot be unlocked so that you can no longer edit them. The only solution is to save the sheet with a new file name.

CadSoft say that this bug has been fixed in beta release 7.5.1 but that is no longer available. But beta 7.5.2 can be down loaded here:

I have been running it for about 3 hours now and not only does the lock bug seem to be fixed, but I get the impression that the program runs smoother.

To install beta 7.5.2 download the installation file from the above web address to a directory on your machine.
Close all programs possible.
Uninstall your existing version of EAGLE- you will not lose your EAGLE user project files. UPDATE 2016_03_18. I do not know if your project files will be lost if they are stored in the EAGLE directory, so best back your EAGLE user files before uninstalling your old version of EAGLE.
Install EAGLE beta 7.5.2 by lclicking on the downloaded installation file and following the instructions.
EAGLE will install in around a minute.

spec

Last edited:
Does 7.5 have any of those change-just-to-change enhancements over 7.2.0 ( my current version)? Are there any real enhancements? (I use the educational/non-profit license.)

John

Here is a list of the added features from Version 7.2 to version 7.5

spec

Thanks. I review the enhancements as they come out. The DXF import function is something I use a ULP for (import-dxf-1_6.ulp). It works very smoothly with my regular 2D CAD DXF export. The only "problem" is the small inconvenience of aligning the DXF import exactly to the Eagle coordinates. I doubt that item has been addressed. Unfortunately, I can't try the new import method without installing the whole version. So, I will probably wait awhile longer. Thankfully, Eagle only charges for integer updates, and not for the decimal ones.

When it goes to subscription is when I get my last update. :)

John

Is the trial version similar to the Eagle Make Pro? If you create symbols in the trial, will they work in the Make Pro version? This version is price comparable with MultiSim Blue which I have now, but my 1 yr is almost up, so I plan on changing. Mentor Graphics looks cool but it is subscription for commercial use.

Is the trial version similar to the Eagle Make Pro? If you create symbols in the trial, will they work in the Make Pro version? This version is price comparable with MultiSim Blue which I have now, but my 1 yr is almost up, so I plan on changing. Mentor Graphics looks cool but it is subscription for commercial use.
I'm absolutely no expert in EAGLE but, as far as I know, all versions of EAGLE are basically the same and they just vary in capability rather than any fundamental difference. So I would imagine you can do what you want.
spec

Just a bit of info.
The free version of EAGLE has some big limitations. One of theses was that a schematic could only cover one sheet but on version beta 7.5.2 this has been increased to two sheets.
spec

At one time I had used Eagle (ver 5), and had even wrote a short tutorial on this site, but it was lost during ownership transition. I am thinking of trying before buying, but want to be sure that the trial is pretty much the same as the commercial version minus the page limit, brd size. So can Eagle import Gerber as well as export? I think Jpan mentioned that earlier. Maybe I should scroll up^ Nope, he mentioned DXF. I have a few reference designs by Cypress and TI that allow the use of the .BRD files, would save some man hours to import that. Multisim does nothing even close to Eagle.
I had purchased Multisim Blue because, I did not like some of the things about Eagle, it was mostly creating libraries for layout, and I recall going from schematic to layout was a pain, but I imagine that has been improved, but I dunno. I am also trying Circuit Maker free version, it is nice, but does not have the shortcut keys which really speeds things up. My limited desk space makes all mouse commands cumbersome, so believe it or not the shortcuts really prevents carpal tunnel :) (un proven mike fact) hehe. Well, I have a few months before I am without a EDA program as I mentioned my Multisim is licensed for only 1 yr. Seems not too long ago I got it, and I am really fast on symbol creation with it, but the layout part position and measurement is hard to get a hang of. I discovered this when I was making symbols for some oddball gas sensors. Oh gee, I am rambling... Sorry :facepalm:

Mike, why not just download and install EAGLE beta 7.5.2. It only takes a few minutes and then you can take it for a spin. I have only used EAGLE for circuit capture. In fact that is all I have ever used an ECAD for- someone else did the other stuff for me but having retired I will have to learn... sometime.

It is very difficult to start circuit capture when you first run EAGLE and the libraries are a complete mess but once you get over the initial hurdle, which I can explain in a few lines, it is a very easy package to use for circuit capture that is. (I used Protel/Altium for years)

spec

Mike just realized. I think you can trial any version of EAGLE for 30 days.
spec

I have been using Eagle since ver. 3.x. The first version I bought was 4.03 (©2001). It even came with a nice hard-copy instruction manual of just 208 pages.

So far as I know libraries are compatible between the various purchased or free versions. That is to confirm what spec said that the limitations are on size, layers, sheets and so forth. To be clear, a project done with a free or other limited version can be accessed by a higher version of software. The reverse may not be true, as it is likely to include elements such as size, layers, sheets that the more limited software is restricted from doing. Whether one could produce a device with a pro version that would not be compatible with a free version, I don't know. I suspect that if one really tried hard to do that with a pro version, like make a device that is huge, it could be done.

There is an issue of serious compatibility between versions <6.0 and versions 6.0 and later (I think that is where the change occurred, but am not certain). Later versions of the software can open earlier versions, but once saved from the later version, the earlier version will not be able to open it again. I am not sure how that limitation affects libraries. It may, as I believe the change had to do with file structure.

Mikebits: That latter limitation is something you need to consider. If you open something you made with pro 5.0 using a free version after 6.0 and save it, you may not be able to open again with 5.0. So, be sure you have back-up copies made and saved with 5.0.

Importing Gerbers in a commercial environment might be a nice feature. It is just of no interest to me.

John

Thanks to you both. I have not saved any of my ver 5 stuff so I am not too concerned with backwards compatible. I think I will give it a try within the next few weeks. I will give my thoughts after I play for awhile. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back