Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CAD recommendation for case drawings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

For quite a while, I've been in need of a program to draw out device ideas I had at work. (Finished handheld devices, etc.) I could also use it at home, but Autocad seems prohibitively expensive for the amount of drafting I actually anticipate. Can anyone list afew good alternative and why you like using them?

This is a topic I am also particularly interested, but don't have much to add. One that comes to mind is Google Sketchup, but not sure if it is appropriate (never used). What about Autodesk Inventors (not sure the cost)?

How do you usually go about manufacturing your own devices, parts, etc from the AutoCAD designs you create? Do you send the drawing to something like ponoko.com or shapeways.com or something more professional like redeyeondemand.com?

I am even considering something like reprap.org but my biggest problem is learning how to design joints, choose the right materials, etc.

I've seen people use Google Sketchup for simple prototyping, but I don't think it outputs any kind of data in a way that you could use to machine final parts. One possibility might be to use Blender...? I found a copy of Autocad 2000 at Goodwill once (for a dollar!); had to buy it for the price, even though I don't have a Windows system to run it on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back