Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bye for now and a heart felt thank you for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostman11

slightly strange post for me i guess and one i didnt think i would ever do. having read RB's good bye thread got me thinking.
I too feel things here have changed and the atmosphere and tone of posts has changed alot since i joined, many of the old crowd have gone or hardly post, infact the post count as a whole has decreased. There was a time if you read back a year or two ago where a thread normally had a little **** chat within and sometimes wondered from the path, but rarely was that seen as a problem and more people therefore responded to a thread, hence you get a feeling of COMMUNITY . this has largely gone. the forum to me now feels more like a technical question and answer place, you have a technical question you ask it as concisely and possible so as not to waste others time and you get a technical reply! no more **** chat no more daring to step outside the rigid confines of the OP's original question.
Dont get me wrong all forums evolve over time thats just a simple fact of life, but the way this is evolving just isnt my cup of tea, so as i would advise anyone else that wasnt happy with something, 'dont complain move on'. I have noticed also in alot of threads people complain that others are just trying to get homework or a job done for free etc, but step back read posts from a couple of years ago and its easy to see why things are going this way. Myself and logan have had much help from here and all of it has been appreciated, we have made friends that we value greatly. So i guess the simple reason for us to call it a day for now is one or two things that have happened of late (no i dont want to go into detail) make me feel like we dont fit anymore and the fun has gone for us, so we wish you all well and the very best and a big thank you from us both for all the help and knowledge we have gained,. Things always change so you never know maybe we will post again in the future but if not IT's been fun and we have had a great time here but time to go.

Best wishes
JASON & LOGAN

i just wanted to say bye as well and thank you

Sorry to hear but not unexpected either. I have similar feelings, and neither of us is alone on this, but for the time being I just went with not showing when I am online.

I would go into more or **** chat detail but it would just get edited for being off topic or worse (MED). :rolleyes:

There was a time if you read back a year or two ago where a thread normally had a little **** chat within and sometimes wondered from the path, but rarely was that seen as a problem and more people therefore responded to a thread, hence you get a feeling of COMMUNITY .

I don't sense that the foundation of our community has changed. For example, look at Audioguru's recent thread on survival.

What perhaps has changed, is a sense of decreased tolerance for comments about individuals, which occasionally even descended into psychoanalysis of their motives. I feel that change is absolutely in the right direction. In other words, if you don't like the way a question is asked or feel the question is too basic, let it be. No one is under any obligation to respond to any post. Albeit, once one gets involved in a thread, it becomes harder simply to ignore the drift, and frustrations can find their way into the responses. I think our moderators have been excellent at distinguishing the latter from unprovoked and more hurtful attacks on others.

...the forum to me now feels more like a technical question and answer place, you have a technical question you ask it as concisely and possible

I see that as a good change. Good questions get good responses. I don't believe for one instant that the motive behind encouraging good questions is, "so as not to waste others time." It is simply to facilitate better answers. There are plenty of social media available, if that is what one wants.

You do point to a concern I have felt as well, namely activity on ETO seems to be lower than it was a year or so ago. I hope that is temporary and maybe just represents a transition for ETO. Another technically oriented forum, EDA Board has very high activity -- higher than ETO and AAC combined. One should note that even in the OT/chat area of EDA Board, threads need to be technical.

I hope to see both of you back. I am anxious to learn of LG's progress soon.

John

I don't sense that the foundation of our community has changed. For example, look at Audioguru's recent thread on survival.

What perhaps has changed, is a sense of decreased tolerance for comments about individuals, which occasionally even descended into psychoanalysis of their motives. I feel that change is absolutely in the right direction. In other words, if you don't like the way a question is asked or feel the question is too basic, let it be. No one is under any obligation to respond to any post. Albeit, once one gets involved in a thread, it becomes harder simply to ignore the drift, and frustrations can find their way into the responses. I think our moderators have been excellent at distinguishing the latter from unprovoked and more hurtful attacks on others.

I see that as a good change. Good questions get good responses. I don't believe for one instant that the motive behind encouraging good questions is, "so as not to waste others time." It is simply to facilitate better answers. There are plenty of social media available, if that is what one wants.

You do point to a concern I have felt as well, namely activity on ETO seems to be lower than it was a year or so ago. I hope that is temporary and maybe just represents a transition for ETO. Another technically oriented forum, EDA Board has very high activity -- higher than ETO and AAC combined. One should note that even in the OT/chat area of EDA Board, threads need to be technical.

I hope to see both of you back. I am anxious to learn of LG's progress soon.

John
i shouldnt have signed in and read replies but i did, i will respond to this because it's actually condensed in my mind what i was feeling but unable to express. The point i tried to make but dont think i got across was it used to feel like a hobbyist type forum where the humble hobbyist to come to get help from some truly exceptional engineers. Now it feels more like a engineering forum with little room for the hobbyist.

to sum up i think this quote is important

"I see that as a good change. Good questions get good responses. I don't believe for one instant that the motive behind encouraging good questions is, "so as not to waste others time." It is simply to facilitate better answers. There are plenty of social media available, if that is what one wants."

hobbyist rarely ask good questions we often are unsure of exactly what it is we are asking, RB mentioned the lack of fun projects etc, these mainly came from hobbyist, most probably because a trained engineer will often choose a pre made solution to a problem, mainly i suspect because they see reinventing the wheel as pointless, after all there is little point in spending more money to accomplish something that can be accomplished with something already available. The hobbyist however has a different motivation, often the need to be efficient or choose the best way is of less importance than the satisfaction of actually building something just for the shear hell of it and the joy of the experience.
yes i agree with you forums change and i said as much, i am pleased that the direction of change pleases you and others. But some of us prefer the more relaxed hobbyist type place this once felt like.

lets face it the likes of myself and others who have gone is not important, ETO will continue to thrive for as long as there are the quality of engineers that there is now on here.

i shouldnt have signed in and read replies but i did, i will respond to this because it's actually condensed in my mind what i was feeling but unable to express. The point i tried to make but dont think i got across was it used to feel like a hobbyist type forum where the humble hobbyist to come to get help from some truly exceptional engineers. Now it feels more like a engineering forum with little room for the hobbyist.

to sum up i think this quote is important

"I see that as a good change. Good questions get good responses. I don't believe for one instant that the motive behind encouraging good questions is, "so as not to waste others time." It is simply to facilitate better answers. There are plenty of social media available, if that is what one wants."

hobbyist rarely ask good questions we often are unsure of exactly what it is we are asking, RB mentioned the lack of fun projects etc, these mainly came from hobbyist, most probably because a trained engineer will often choose a pre made solution to a problem, mainly i suspect because they see reinventing the wheel as pointless, after all there is little point in spending more money to accomplish something that can be accomplished with something already available. The hobbyist however has a different motivation, often the need to be efficient or choose the best way is of less importance than the satisfaction of actually building something just for the shear hell of it and the joy of the experience.
yes i agree with you forums change and i said as much, i am pleased that the direction of change pleases you and others. But some of us prefer the more relaxed hobbyist type place this once felt like.

lets face it the likes of myself and others who have gone is not important, ETO will continue to thrive for as long as there are the quality of engineers that there is now on here.

So, as you say? A hobbiest and I'm one of the most needy and after 2 yrs of being hear, you say. I'm not asking enough viable question or interesting questions. I found your son, to ask the most interesting of all questions. I don't understand? If he or you can't ask these questions. There will be no answers, no answers will lead to a downward trend. It takes more talented people to ask the more interesting questions?

No questions lead to no answers. It's a downward spiral.

It's better with you than without you.

kv

Edit: Thank you for all your contributions.

Last edited:
Sorry to see the two of you go - I like your posts. Sincerely hope good fortune favours you both and your family :)

It's not a Coffeehouse, but I like informal discussions. I enjoy helping people. Here, I won't put too much effort like pretty pics etc., because I don;t really have the time.

Problem, for me, is, it's difficult to get help for myself.

LG, I am surprised that your leaving, because you were getting help and you were using this place as a means to document your work. People do move on, Family is forever. Friends come and go.

no more **** chat no more daring to step outside the rigid confines of the OP's original question.
This is the precise reason I don't use this forum as much as I used to. I was "moderated" a couple of times for introducing some humour (indirectly relevant to the the thread in one case I may add) and had my posts deleted.

I still hang around and flick through the posts and occasionally join in but I agree - it isn't the same.

This is the precise reason I don't use this forum as much as I used to. I was "moderated" a couple of times for introducing some humour (indirectly relevant to the the thread in one case I may add) and had my posts deleted.

I still hang around and flick through the posts and occasionally join in but I agree - it isn't the same.

You are not alone in the boat on that one! (rumor has it it's more like a small cruise ship now.) Been there done that multiple/countless times over and just the same I and many others have cut way back on being here and being helpful. :(

Hi Guys

I am being torn about inside me. I love ETO. All will be OK.

Trust me, things will sort themselves out....all will be OK.

Stay well you crazy bunch of PRO's

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
I know one thing that has changed.. and is changing fast, but I can't mention what it is because I got warned that if I do so again I'll get banned.

Edit: I have to make clear that I don't have any complaints about moderation and the warning I got was well deserved. The one thing that has changed is the number of "frustrating, waste-of-time, -threads" (and the way I can spot them miles away is part of the reason I got warned).

Last edited:
misterT: I know of what you speak. Maybe a partial answer to this is that all newbies have to post the first 10 Qs in a newbie section before they are allowed in the adult part.
I also refuse to read/answer txt spk mesgs. E

Maybe all new members should be checked to make sure they can read a datasheet (and do before asking questions), listen to what they are told to do and not to keep on posting as the answer to their question wasn't what they wanted to hear ......

Electronics (especially embedded systems, microcontrollers) have a very steep learning curve. Most beginners ask very general questions like "I want to build a robot with voice command, what are the things I should know to do this".
I think only sensible thing to do is to list some good sources of information etc. It is impossible to teach somebody from zero on an internet forum. If the OP is really motivated he will read and learn and then ask more specific question about the things he struggles with.

Maybe there should be guidelines (not rules) how to answer these kind of questions. And maybe forum members should put more effort collecting a knowledge base about the most asked beginner questions. The value of the forum comes from good answers and discussion. Just trying to look at the "problem" from both sides.

Last edited:
misterT:
I also refuse to read/answer txt spk mesgs. E

Me too. Text message language automatically tell's me there is some huge emergency on the posters part....

1. I have not studied so help me out quick.
2. I am lazy. Please give me answers to my questions ASAP.
3. I am in a car and driving and taking my girl to a movie....test/exam tomorrow....thanx and bye...

Etc.

Sigh.

tvtech

I second misterT post #17. Very sensible idea.

hi throb,
The way that works for me is, I just ignore the request and dont post. :facepalm:
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back