Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building an E-Drumset

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

Ive decided to build an electric full size drum set instead of buying the $1300 one from yamaha...

my budget is set at $700 but ill probably have to bump it to $800

this is what im trying to make it look like
**broken link removed**
(note that thats not my set)

This will be my layout
**broken link removed**
added to that will be a double bass pedal setup
and hi-hat control

For the brain or computer of this setup, I have selected the DM5 drum module
https://alesis.com/products/dm5/

that part alone is aver $200
but you have to have it to have electric drums...

basicly im building what looks like regular drums but cutting them down to
4 inches tall and adding some piezo disks under foam cones and installing
mesh heads on the drums.

Im making lists for parts and prices now ut dont have anything

this is going to be a great learning project for me as i have never built a drum before much less a whole set

i havent even played an acostic set before

im making this full size set to replace my tiny Yamaha DD55 table top drum set, $300 new...Selling for $50 tops on ebay...

everyones getting these big kits now...

ill post some more updates here when i get some parts and start building.

Ive always wondered with those drum sets, are they able to detect lighter hits and harder hits and respond accordingly?

Checkout the latest edition of siliconchip as they have a project on an electronic drum kit based on a pic. It's looks just what ya after moody and it won't cost the earth to make either

Cheers Bryan :D

zachtheterrible said:
Ive always wondered with those drum sets, are they able to detect lighter hits and harder hits and respond accordingly?

it depends on which settings you have set on the drum module and what drum module you have but yes...most will

i was going to get a cheaper module but found that it didnt detect any light hits like you explained so i changed to the DM5

moody07747 said:
Ive decided to build an electric full size drum set instead of buying the $1300 one from yamaha...

my budget is set at $700 but ill probably have to bump it to $800

this is what im trying to make it look like
**broken link removed**
(note that thats not my set)

This will be my layout
**broken link removed**
added to that will be a double bass pedal setup
and hi-hat control

For the brain or computer of this setup, I have selected the DM5 drum module
https://alesis.com/products/dm5/

that part alone is aver $200
but you have to have it to have electric drums...

basicly im building what looks like regular drums but cutting them down to
4 inches tall and adding some piezo disks under foam cones and installing
mesh heads on the drums.

Im making lists for parts and prices now ut dont have anything

this is going to be a great learning project for me as i have never built a drum before much less a whole set

i havent even played an acostic set before

im making this full size set to replace my tiny Yamaha DD55 table top drum set, $300 new...Selling for $50 tops on ebay...

everyones getting these big kits now...

ill post some more updates here when i get some parts and start building.

I was making an electronic drum set and tested the DM5 AND IT SUCKED DON'T GO WITH IT.

I made the toms my self but I made a couple of tests to see if I could make the mesh well enough and I made it better then I thought.

I know a website which you will find helpfull I just got to look through my old links on my old computer.

When I do that I will post the link up for you.

whats so bad about the DM5?

on another board almost everyone uses it on their homemade kits...

**broken link removed**

the only complaint ive heard was something about the hi-hat, like it will only sence open or closed and not inbetween

i really dont care how this turns out...i wouldnt mind having this come out great in the end but im only playing the drums in my spare time...maby 2...3 times a week.

if the DM5 is not good, what do you recommend?

im setting a limit of $250 for the module

as for mesh heads, im going with heart dinamics...ive heard allo about the cheaper pads tearing and looseing tension faster than the better ones and i want this to last a long time

That link wouldnt happen to be drumshed would it?
**broken link removed**

Anyway Guy's here a pic of the front page of the sillychip project I was talking about. As far as it's capablility's is there's 9 different formats and upto 87 choices in each format. What more do you want and it only uses a 16f88 chip :shock:

Attachments

• drum_1.gif
    drum_1.gif
    210.2 KB · Views: 323
This is about as cheap as electronic drum sets get, and I got it for even less at the Music Live event at the NEC a few weeks back;

**broken link removed**

It responds not only to velocity, but the drum tone can change when its hit harder too. You can assign any sound to any pad and there are lots of extra inputs for expansion. Its quite good, build quality of the pads is not good though, and they are a bit small.

**broken link removed**

Thats the computer with it, its 233 sounds and very easy to use. I find it more than good enough for practise and intend to take it out live soon (the reverb used on some of the sounds is pretty nasty to me, but you can decide your own kits anyhow and avoid them, the defualt kit is about as bad as it gets :lol:). I'll email you a demo if you want, think I still have your email.

:shock: 229 pounds sheesh thats about $600 Oz :shock:

Whats wrong with that project I'm referring to. It should only cost around $50 to make and simple maths 9x87 = 783 tones but thats less 12 tones in sound FX mode. Sheesh since when has making a project out of a magazine been so hard. :shock: And who said the Irish were dumb

Dr.EM said:
**broken link removed**

Thats the computer with it, its 233 sounds and very easy to use. I find it more than good enough for practise and intend to take it out live soon (the reverb used on some of the sounds is pretty nasty to me, but you can decide your own kits anyhow and avoid them, the defualt kit is about as bad as it gets :lol:). I'll email you a demo if you want, think I still have your email.

UK£ 79.00 = 136.0617 U.S. dollars
thats what google says...

not bad for its price

i think im gunna get started with the DM5 and see how i like it
ive only heard one complaint about it for the hi hat

if i dont like it ill put it in my ebay store and use the $$$$$$ to upgrade to the Roland
https://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ROL-TD3--d-2.html

email: moody07747REMOVE@gmail.com
or yahoo.com

either one

bryan1 said:
Anyway Guy's here a pic of the front page of the sillychip project I was talking about. As far as it's capablility's is there's 9 different formats and upto 87 choices in each format. What more do you want and it only uses a 16f88 chip :shock:

nice lookin computer module
but i would not even know where to start on building that...

Well Moody the second part of the article is in next months magazine and more than likely a kit will be available with everything You need. Anyway I'm heading off to the bush for work next week but when I get back there should be a kit out by then so if you like I can check out the price for you (and it will be in Oz$ so it's cheaper for you). Surely soldering parts to a circuit board isn't hard or is it????

zachtheterrible said:

go to: **broken link removed**

It is a circuit that can produce a light output of the same intensity as the incoming sound volume.

Not sure if i saidd this all before but my goal is to get a finished drumset by 12/25/05 well maby a day or7 earlyer to fix any errors if any pop up

i hope none pop up though

my family is having a christmas party at out house this year and the whole family come over. my cousin playes the Yamaha DD55 and some electric guitars as well. he wants to be able to try this all out when he comes down for the party so i said "ill make it a goal to get it done in time, i dont think ill have all the fancy extras like double bass set up by then but it will be playable."

so i want to get something playable, i would like to make that computer module for this, sounds neat but i cant wait for the wiring sheet next month...it will take me a while to wire it all and then some more testing days will most likely bring up errors...

MStechca,
An electronic drum set doesn't have a microphone to "hear" how hard the drummer hits the sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back