Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a vibration sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmilbury

I'm building an acceleration sensor for a project with low g's. (.05<g<1.0 max g = 2.0) I've researched several sensors on the web and have selected a sensor with a sensitivity of 120 pV/g.

My understanding is there is a known mass that reacts to the vibration. This reaction is output as a certain voltage. What I am attempting to do is interface my accelerometer with a circuit board.

Would anybody know how I would do this? I would like to make a direct connection to the ADC without using an amplifier circuit. With this in mind, what would be the best way to do this? If I go as high as 2.0g's would you know how I could limit this voltage to keep it from overloading the processor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
just checking I understood right, since I've not been working with
acceleration sensors before.

Is the voltage output from a sensor really as low as 120 pV / g,
so at 2g you will only get 240 pV output ?
If that is correct, its quite small voltages you have to work with.
Even an 18 bit A/D converter has a resolution of about 1uV / LSB
and you would need something like 100.000 - 1000.000 times better resolution than that to get any data from your sensor.

It looks like a very good amplifier is needed between the sensor and the A/D converter.

Aren't there units with sensor and amplifier integrated that you could use ? They should have much higher output voltages, and their output could probably be fed stright into an A/D converter,
maybe amplified by a very simple amplifier first.

/Argonheart

Piezo-electric accelerometers

Mmilbury,
I believe there could be a mis-quote in your posting -- piezo-electric accelerometers produce Coulombs of charge as their output, not volts.
A typical industrial accelerometer will produce 25pC/g so if you meant charge, your 120pC/g unit is a massive output :shock:

One Coulomb is one amp.second [NOTE that is multiplying NOT dividing]
One amp is one Coulomb/second [This is dividing !]

Because of the extremely small energy levels involved, these devices are connected with 'charge cable' - a good quality sceened cable - to a 'charge amplifier' which produces around 100mV/g (fancy name, simple circuit!). Could this be what you meant? 120mV/g ?

It is impossible to connect directly from accelerometer to A/D, you must use a charge amp -- accelerometers are available (for a price!) that contain the charge amp and so give mV/g directly, but then they require power, usually over the same two wires as the signal, so some DC offset is involved (possibly 12 to 24v DC).

Hi I just would like to know what did u do at the en with your vibration sensor.I have to do a project about it and I was wondering if u could help me out...
Gabriella :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back