Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

building a humanoid robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokedmaro

I can't believe there are no sites that describe building your own humanoid. Ive looked everywhere but can't seem to find a single one. Haveing a ton of r/c equipment I would like to give it a shot myself if only I could find some design and control basics. Please help me out if you have any links! (Im looking toward the 12-13inch tall robo one style bots)

First of all, what's your definition of human? To me, something is still an inferior human until it learns to play the trombone, so I'm designing something to that end.

But as for bi-pedal robots, I think I started a thread dedicated to that a while back in this forum? I've been thinking about this for awhile, too, particularly about the physiology, and power-to-weight realities, not to mention doing things on the cheap!

On the physiology end of things, there are nine independent joints to make a realistic, walking robot. Even then, those nine joints don't include upper leg rotation (so no turning), or hip abductor (so no lateral splits). These joints are:
ankle pointing x2
ankle adductor x2
knee x2
hip extension x2
lower back (for upper body lateral displacement)

That's no arms, but I've figured out that you can actually make a walking robot with just those bits. By walking, I mean a robot that can keep its balance and transfer its weight to either or both legs while keeping balanced at all times. That means at any given time, the robot can freeze and not fall down. Now, I think that's a good place to start, but ideally the motion ought to be tweaked just a bit closer to reality, meaning there will be a slight falling motion forward as the centre-of-gravity shifts from foot to foot. This, I believe, is key to what will be the most efficient operation of the robot in the long run (or I guess I should say "long walk'), by emulating the pendulus movement of the human body.

I've made a model out of lego using the joints I've described. I'll post a video of it with a bit of explanation on Youtube, but I'll have to put that off until I have more time to dedicate - probably March break (a week and a half from today).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back