Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bridge Rectifier Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmanager

Morning Guys

Confusion reigns supreme !! I'm building a circuit which starts with a bridge rectifier and the schematic shows the diodes in typical triangular formation but I thought I'd be clever and arrange them side by side - takes up less room on the PCB. I did it properly, drew it first then laid it out and now I've looked at it so many times I've talked myself out of it.

Please would one of you geniui look at my sketch attached. The top is what the schematic shows and the bottom is what I've done.. ..

I used to be terribly indecisive, but now I'm not so sure !!

Thanks

S

Attachments

• Bridge.pdf
    47.7 KB · Views: 326
Hi Ian

Yes, I probably would if I was crossing the river, but I'm actually using 8 1N5400 diodes because that's what the schematic says I should use .. :) plus I don't have a 'bridge' ..

I was just hoping that a genius would take one look at my sketch and say ' Yes, MM you are right !' Remember, I'm only a poor novice ..

Any genius about ??

S

I just use a bridge.... 4 pin IC... Simple!
Chicken! :)

Music, your layout is correct.
Your confusion comes about because as drawn, points C and D are "swapped over" as drawn.
This makes no difference electrically.

JimB

Don't call me a genius, you novice! :)

JimB

Morning Guys

Confusion reigns supreme !! I'm building a circuit which starts with a bridge rectifier and the schematic shows the diodes in typical triangular formation but I thought I'd be clever and arrange them side by side - takes up less room on the PCB. I did it properly, drew it first then laid it out and now I've looked at it so many times I've talked myself out of it.

Please would one of you geniui look at my sketch attached. The top is what the schematic shows and the bottom is what I've done.. ..

I used to be terribly indecisive, but now I'm not so sure !!

Thanks

S

Yes, you have it right

bridge.jpg

It makes more sense to lay them out as you have shown...

That's what I thought, but if you haven't done it before, it's as well to double check, and the more I looked the less .. .. well anyway ..

'Ey up, look, ^^^^^^^^^^^^ a genius from Rutland !! :D

JimB .. .. who you calling a novice ??? I ain't that good yet ! :) deputy, assistant trainee apprentice, if you please !

S

Better is the enemy of good...

Sorry Mm you are wasting your time. A drawing is just that,

Morning AT

I'm sorry too, but I don't agree.
I'm just a novice and the ability to sketch out a circuit first - large or small - is essential.

S

When laying out a bridge on a PCB using discrete diodes, I tend to lay them out like this.
This way, no wires (traces) need to "cross".

Bridge rectifier PCB.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back