Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost V to drive LED string

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:

I need about 16V from a 12V supply to drive a pair of 5," 7 segment displays adequately. Perhaps 40mA peak per segment @ 50% DC.
Using only 7 segments (no DP) => 280mA total load current.

I am considering this part to do the job.
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps61160.pdf

Does it look up to the task? It seems setup to drive a constant current @ whatever voltage needs to be developed.
If so I need one of these for each of the segment strings in use...or 7 of them. I could drive the segment strings via the PWM input as a Hi/Lo on/off arrangement and clamp the max string voltage with 16V zeners to prevent spiking when switching signals from one digit to the next.

Would 'blanking' all the segments before switching digits and then 'activating' the segments negate the need for the zeners?

Last edited:
Go back and look for a 12V to 16V "boost PWM".
The TPS61160 is for driving LEDs in a flashlight. It is constant current not constant voltage and will not be happy driving a display. (unless you use one for each segment)

What display needs 16 volts? Very strange. It must be large.

Cigarette lighter to laptop chargers, HP F1455A, put out 19 volts at 75 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back