Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost 150mV to 1.5V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.. can anyone help me to design a boost converter with low power application. The input voltage is too small which is 0.15 V. I want to use boost converter to step up that voltage to be 1.5 V. It is suitable to use boost converter to boost up that smallest input voltage?

I do not know of a way to boost 0.15 volts because most electronics do not work at that level.

Where are you getting the 0.15V?

0.15 V from the output of Existing Micro - Savonius Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT).

Actually, I'm doing a final project on "IMPLEMENTATION OF BOOST CONVERTER TO THE EXISTING MICRO - SAVONIUS VERTICAL AXIS WIND TURBINE (VAWT)".

I set the output from the Existing Micro - Savonius (VAWT) as the input of boost converter and then the considered load is Miniature Light Bulb which has voltage and current of 1.5 V and 0.3 A respectively.

What you are trying to achieve is impossible. Your input is 0.15 volts at 0.03 amps ( 0.0045 watts) You are asking for an output of 1.5 volts at 0.3 amps (0.45 watts) so you are asking for 100 time more power out of the converter than you are putting into it. (10000% efficiency)

Les.

I'm stuck now :(. I've no ideas to overcome this problem.

But, I found one article on 'Issues with Low-Input-Voltage Boost Converter Design'. This article proposed a startup technique that works for arbitrarily low input voltages.

It is okay if I try this technique in my project?

The attach file is an article on 'Issues with Low-Input-Voltage Boost Converter Design'

Attachments

• Paper Startup Circuit.pdf
    181.2 KB · Views: 203
The attach file is my slide presentation about the project.
I'm stuck now :(. I've no ideas to overcome this problem
Exactly.
After all that work, you failed to perform the simplest evaluation of the energy available from the generator.
As Les Jones has already stated "This is impossible", you need more power from the generator.
It is okay if I try this technique in my project?
What will be the point? I will not magic up energy from nowhere. You need mor power from the generator.

JimB

It is okay if I change a generator......... to high power of generator?
Please do. Now what is the voltage and current.
You are asking for an output of 1.5 volts at 0.3 amps (0.45 watts)
If you need 0.45 watts out after the, boost up circuit, you probably need a 0.55 watt generator.

Do you have control over the air speed hitting the turbine? Is the turbine separate from the generator? Can you use a gearing mechanism to increase the speed of the generator shaft?

Your best bet would definitely be to get a better generator.

Actually, the Existing Micro - Savonius Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) was connected to DC motor not a generator.

The wind blow from the air compressor of air conditioner as a source to rotate the blade of the Existing Micro - Savonius Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT).
The rotor blade was connected to the DC motor. Since the rotor blade was connected to the DC motor, so the output was Direct Current (DC).

Then, I measure voltage and current at the terminal of DC motor.

Actually, the Existing Micro - Savonius Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) was connected to DC motor not a generator.

The wind blow from the air compressor of air conditioner as a source to rotate the blade of the Existing Micro - Savonius Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT).
The rotor blade was connected to the DC motor. Since the rotor blade was connected to the DC motor, so the output was Direct Current (DC).

Then, I measure voltage and current at the terminal of DC motor.

That doesn't really answer any of the questions asked....

DC motors make notoriously bad generators. You really need something better. If you can get (or even build) an alternator, you can use a transformer to increase the voltage.

The windmill (air turbine) is too small to produce 0.55W of power since it produces only 0.0045W or power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back