Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BLDC motor controller limit power supply current

Status
Not open for further replies.

poofjunior

H everyone,

I'm building a brushless motor controller for a BLDC motor with a sine wave drive. So far, I'm using three half-bridge drivers (BTN7930P) from Infineon and I'm using a microcontroller for the pwm signal generation.

So far, the pwm signals are working correctly, and the motor does microstep from one pole to the next, but my power supply (12[v], 30[A]) keeps resetting during the commutation sequence. The motor is rated for 20 [A], but I don't know how to limit the current from the power supply.

Does anyone know how to limit the input current from the power supply?

Alternatively, I thought it might be more practical to limit the current from the half-bridge drivers, and I think the answer may be in the datasheet. http://www.leonvanderhorst.nl/docs/H-bridge half - BTN7930.pdf
From the datasheet, I've been looking at the IS pin hoping that the current-sense resistor limits the current to a maximum value. Unfortunately, it looks like it only outputs an analog value indicating the current through the half bridge.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Whoop--to answer my own question: just limit the amplitude of the sine wave input.

In other words: just limit the maximum duty cycle of the pwm frequency until the power supply stops kicking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back