Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bidirectional dc current sensing with 358 or 324 op amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
R1/200000 is the gain of the circuit, and includes the effects of the current-sense and other resistors

gif.latex
Iin is develop by current flow . that's are in milivolt .. so
gif.latex.gif

this EQUATION right for here .
sory for my bad English

I don't know what you're trying to say. Iin is in Amps.

dear sir made this circuit . test it but unexpected result found those are as

Attachments

• SL. NO.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 202
What supply voltages did the opamp have? Which opamp did you use?

According to its datasheet the LM358 output can only get to within 1.5V of Vcc, so don't expect a full 0-5V output range. This may explain the results you got.

According to its datasheet the LM358 output can only get to within 1.5V of Vcc, so don't expect a full 0-5V output range. This may explain the results you got.
its means , if I use reff volt 1.5 volt then result get expected.
& equation use as
o/p =(1.5 + 10000 * Iin)/200000

I am lost as to what circuit you are using now.
ofsetamp-png.89239

1) The "V2 2.5" can also be a 1k to +5 and a 1k to ground. If you 2.5V is not exactly right OR your R6 & R2 is not right there will be a offset error. Use 1% resistors. You say that 0 current is 2.352 volts. This is probably because (1/2 of 5V) does not equal 2.5V OR R2 does not equal R6. When things are balanced right there should be 2.5V on both inputs and on the output.

2) You might need a R-R output opamp. The inputs are at 2.5V so you don't a R-R input opamp. These amplifiers will pull to ground and supply better than the old types.

2) You might need a R-R output opamp. The inputs are at 2.5V so you don't a R-R input opamp. These amplifiers will pull to ground and supply better than the old types.

I would suggest he's better off using a real split supply (perhaps using a 7660 as my tutorial does - and for the same reason), ensuring it completely reaches 0V.

Also like my tutorial, I would suggest using a 2.5V reference (many newer PIC's have this in-built), thus avoiding limitations approaching the +ve rail as well.

"Rail to rail" opamps are really nothing of the kind, just 'closer' than standard opamps.

I would suggest he's better off using a real split supply (perhaps using a 7660 as my tutorial does - and for the same reason), ensuring it completely reaches 0V.

Also like my tutorial, I would suggest using a 2.5V reference (many newer PIC's have this in-built), thus avoiding limitations approaching the +ve rail as well.

"Rail to rail" opamps are really nothing of the kind, just 'closer' than standard opamps.

I am lost as to what circuit you are using now.
ofsetamp-png.89239

1) The "V2 2.5" can also be a 1k to +5 and a 1k to ground. If you 2.5V is not exactly right OR your R6 & R2 is not right there will be a offset error. Use 1% resistors. You say that 0 current is 2.352 volts. This is probably because (1/2 of 5V) does not equal 2.5V OR R2 does not equal R6. When things are balanced right there should be 2.5V on both inputs and on the output.

dear sir , here not issue of R6 & R2 . i'm telling here is V(out) = 2.352 v .
i has found both place 2.5 v(- & +) of opamp . where we used 1k resistors (1%)

Hello,

Quick question:
Is it absolutely necessary that the lower shunt lead goes to ground?
If the current to be measured is not common with anything else it does not need to go to ground.

Hello,

Quick question:
Is it absolutely necessary that the lower shunt lead goes to ground?
If the current to be measured is not common with anything else it does not need to go to ground.
yes boos , lower shunt lead to ground.

dear sir , here not issue of R6 & R2 . i'm telling here is V(out) = 2.352 v .
i has found both place 2.5 v(- & +) of opamp . where we used 1k resistors (1%)
Just for the fun of it. Make R6 990 ohms and R2-1010 ohms. (-1% and +1%) See what happens.
The "input offset" of the LM358 is "7mV worst case room temperature". This can be seen by changing the 2.5V to 2.507V or to 2.493V. See what happens.

Spice will hand you perfect components. Like 1000.0000 ohms. The LM358 also has imperfections like input offset.

i use also like this ,
Where: VO = V1 + V2 − V3
but when v1 = 0, v2=0 & v3=0 .
then vo - 3.5 volt.

i confused with op amp.

Attachments

• 0000.gif
    0000.gif
    51.7 KB · Views: 236
1) I crossed out the ground symbol that should not be there.
2) If V1=V2=V3=0 volts then Vo= 0 volts. Not 3.5
upload_2014-11-16_6-50-7.png

This could be used on the current sense amplifier talked about above.
Connect V1 to a reference voltage (2.5V).
Connect V2 to ground.
Connect V3 to the current sense resistors. (normal voltage is o volts)
The output will be 2.5V at 0 current. When the current is positive the Vo will drop below 2.5 volts. When the current if negative the voltage will be above 2.5 volts. (there is a inversion there but that is usually OK)

1) I crossed out the ground symbol that should not be there.
2) If V1=V2=V3=0 volts then Vo= 0 volts. Not 3.5
View attachment 89293
This could be used on the current sense amplifier talked about above.
Connect V1 to a reference voltage (2.5V).
Connect V2 to ground.
Connect V3 to the current sense resistors. (normal voltage is o volts)
The output will be 2.5V at 0 current. When the current is positive the Vo will drop below 2.5 volts. When the current if negative the voltage will be above 2.5 volts. (there is a inversion there but that is usually OK)
normally adc reading are as
result = 0;
for (i=0;i<20;i++)
{ set_adc_channel(0);
delay_ms(1);
result=result+read_adc();
result = result/20 ; }
if its right
gif.latex.gif

then now
result = result * vout
is righ ?