Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biblical evidence of The Big Bang Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few types of religion, the most prominent ones focus on A) achieving enlightenment (higher state of being), B) acceptance into an afterlife, and/or C) a relationship with a deity. Buddhism is an example of the first, Native Americans often followed the second, and Christianity follows the third. Of course there may be denominations or outright religions that combine one or all of these three things, but the point stays the same.

Often with each of these goals comes rules, traditions, rituals, and good deeds that are supposed to help you achieve them. This is how I understand religion.

Let's try to keep this mature and respectful, guys. We've been going 4 pages without a problem, let's try to keep it that way ;)

I think that there is a purity implicit in the concept of faith (in all its forms) that, unfortunately for us all, gets horribly mutilated the very moment humanity gets involved.

Just as many books of faith recount.

Nonetheless, the concept is, for many, a worthwhile pursuit. For others, not so much. Our free will, whatever the source, leads us where it will.

I think that there is a purity implicit in the concept of faith (in all its forms) that, unfortunately for us all, gets horribly mutilated the very moment humanity gets involved.

Just as many books of faith recount.

Nonetheless, the concept is, for many, a worthwhile pursuit. For others, not so much. Our free will, whatever the source, leads us where it will.

That is very true. Personally I try to look at the religion rather than at the followers of the religion. Most often the religion itself is based on fundamentals that anyone would agree are good and righteous. It's the people that often make certain religions look bad. Gandhi once said,

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

I think the same goes for many other religions. For me, an important part of my beliefs is understanding that I am not perfect, that I cannot properly portray what my religion is truly about due to my own humanity. However, I try to explain that the entire point of my religion is that people are imperfect, but that it does not matter.

Now, I'm speaking from the view of Christianity since that is what I follow, so forgive me if I sound biased. I am trying to diversify and make it relevant to other religions as well.

Ratchit.. I know you have very strong opinions and beliefs. Should I thank you for them, or ask you to keep them to yourself.. I like a good debate, but when you get involved the thread takes a turn to something unpleasant.
Too pedantic and no humor makes a thread a dull boy.

I have good reasons for my opinions and beliefs. If you don't think so, then you should debate me and prove me wrong. As for humor, well, this is not a comedy show. I can't help being pedantic and dull, but I strive to be correct.

Ratch

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you were not present at that time, you cannot aver that with certainty. What you do know for certain is that the universe was created, and that takes a Creator. Nothing comes into existence by itself. Many folks go off track when they try to use science to explain how the universe was created. Science can explain how the universe operates, but not how it was made. That question is completely outside of what science is capable of doing, or even beyond human comprehension. So would any verbal or written description be inadequate.

Your faith or beliefs, and what others think of you are irrelevant with respect to the existence of the universe, and how it came into being.

"In Gen 1: 6, if you research the word translated, "firmament", you'll find out that the literal meaning in the Hebrew language is, "a separation of plates". Of course we now call it, Plate Tectonics. "

Then, how does that jive with Psalm 19:1 KJV The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork ? I interpret "firmament" to be a noun depicting solid mass, not a verb describing plantetary upheavals.

Ratch
As with English, or any language I guess, you have to consider the subject and the context of when a particular word is used. Even in English some words have many meanings. I don't argue about things like that.
People that want to argue will always find something to argue about.

Duke Henry: I am Henry the Red, Duke of Shale, Lord of the Northland and leader of its peoples.
Ash: Well, hello, Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you, pal, you ain't leadin' but two things right now: Jack and ****... and Jack left town.
It would be better to say nothing, than to attack Jesus Christ. Because your opinion makes no difference to Him. All you will do is make yourself His enemy. If you just simply ignored Christians you would be better off.

As with English, or any language I guess, you have to consider the subject and the context of when a particular word is used. Even in English some words have many meanings. I don't argue about things like that.
People that want to argue will always find something to argue about.

If you did not want anyone to comment on your interpretation of the word "firmament", then you should not have posted that statement.

Ratch

A belated Welcome, rc3po!

A perfectly reasonable effort.

I also find myself, at times, frustrated with what I consider to be the specious argument that science and religion cannot coexist.

I have an acquaintance who is an atheist. I have no problem with that. It's his choice to make. But at times he finds it necessary to announce that a belief in in God is irrational (or worse, that it is stupid).

I point out to him that his faith (i.e., there is no God) is no more provable than my belief that there is.

It is our nature to seek answers. To exclude any avenue of enlightenment (science, religion, tea leaves) is to intentionally exclude oneself from certain stacks of the library.
It's actually very easy to prove using nothing more than common sense. If you were satan, what name would you try to destroy; the name of the real God, or the name of a god that doesn't exist?
Sometimes things are so simple that people can't see them.

If you did not want anyone to comment on your intrepretation of the word "firmament", then you should not have posted that statement.

Ratch
I don't have time to argue about petty things like that. Sometimes meanings are different in different contexts. If you just want to argue, call your sister.

I have good reasons for my opinions and beliefs. If you don't think so, then you should debate me and prove me wrong. As for humor, well, this is not a comedy show. I can't help being pedantic and dull, but I strive to be correct.

Ratch
I didn't ask you to read this thread, and I didn't twist your arm. If you're not interested, why don't you just skip past it?

That is very true. Personally I try to look at the religion rather than at the followers of the religion. Most often the religion itself is based on fundamentals that anyone would agree are good and righteous. It's the people that often make certain religions look bad. Gandhi once said,

I think the same goes for many other religions. For me, an important part of my beliefs is understanding that I am not perfect, that I cannot properly portray what my religion is truly about due to my own humanity. However, I try to explain that the entire point of my religion is that people are imperfect, but that it does not matter.

Now, I'm speaking from the view of Christianity since that is what I follow, so forgive me if I sound biased. I am trying to diversify and make it relevant to other religions as well.
Nobody is perfect. I'm definitely not perfect.

I have learned to stay out of these sorts of threads due to the fact that it can be drawn into banned territory very easily and quickly. The thing about religion- or politics-based threads is that they MUST have a firm foundation in the physical world. It also must remain polite and tolerant of other peoples' beliefs. That doesn't mean you have to accept them as your own, just that you shouldn't put anyone down for their opinions. Any insults or flaming and the thread will probably be closed very quickly.

As long as those rules (as stated in the forum rules) are followed, I see no problem with this thread.

Anyway, I too identify myself as a Christian and have considered your initial point myself. Furthermore, I recently came across the "hydroplate theory" which has a scientific explanation for Noah's flood (which is found in many religions under different names) and provides explanation for certain fossils and a variety of other things that were previously assumed to disprove biblical claims.

Whether you believe it or not, it's still a fascinating idea, provided you keep an open mind.

Regards,
Matt
And now that archaeologists have found Sodom & Gomorrah, they can no longer say that the story was a myth.

I don't have time to argue about petty things like that. Sometimes meanings are different in different contexts. If you just want to argue, call your sister.

How did you find the time to post your original comment?

ratch

Bible makes a really good topic for debate because there is no truth.
There is plenty of truth and evidence. You just have chosen not to look. John Kerry predicts that an Israeli - Palestinian peace agreement over the Temple Mount will happen April 29, 2014. It may not happen on that day, but it was prophesied to happen 2000 years ago in the Holy Bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back