Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best PIC for Project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Paco - it is a small world - remember me?

I was on the DataQ forum as well - was spoke on the forum about a dyno, (PJAdams user)

I also got a DataQ 148U - but also came to the conclusion it was not what was best. Also - I found mine to be somewhat unreliable. It kept 'freezing' and needed resetting.

I used the soundcard on the PC to sample inputs - and it worked (very well actually) - however - it was not accurate enough & PC timing 'wobbles'.

I found a simple Parallel data logger on the net (build it yourself) that samples up to 1Mhz - digital inputs only. That would of worked - but again - it is based on PC timing - which can 'wobble'.

I decided that timing is a critical element to correct work out (accurately) torque - and therefore it had to be an outside hardware timer - hence the PIC route.

I'm not an electronics guy & I'm struggling - but I'm going to order the PICKit2 & see where it leads me.

Regards

Paul (PJ Adams)

Hi Paul,

Yes small world.
But in the end we meet again.

Some one else building a modelcar dyno has chimed in on my project.
He already said that the DATAQ will not perform the job.
He also tried Serial but is now measuring torque by strain gauge and parallel port.
For your inertia drum this is not usable.
I like to use the inertia disk to keep all simple to rebuild.
The dataq 148 can still be used to measure all analog signals as this is what I intend to do.

I was told the pc clock would be sufficient to produce data.
Cant you measure the wobble of the pc clock and take that in the freq calc?

I was advised to measure 20 to 30 revs measure start and end time and use the average as RPS. With high speed clock this would be the best possible and still have reasonble accuracy for RPM collection.

QueryPerformanceCounter Lib "kernel32" (x As Currency) As Boolean
QueryPerformanceFrequency Lib "kernel32" (x As Currency) As Boolean
These API's can be use to determine timestamps and frequencies.
You can also calcualte the differences due to the API calls according the MSDN page https://support.microsoft.com/kb/172338

I am struggling to program in VB although I get some help.
The mechanics are no problem and also the sensors are working 100%
Quited to use the cheap F/V conveter by LM2417.

Keep in touch,

Paco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back