Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best motor for precise controlling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonTHK

Hello
I want to control a motor to do specific moves controlled by a UC.
I have done this with a cheap RC servo, and that is quite easy, just need pulsewidth between 1-2 ms, for different positions.

But if I want something better, easy to use, and not superior precise, what shoudl I go for? Can I get better and more precise servo that can be controlled also only with a pule width?

What should I look for?

Thanks in advance

But if I want something better, easy to use, and not superior precise, what shoudl I go for? Can I get better and more precise servo that can be controlled also only with a pule width?

What should I look for?

Thanks in advance

Is the bolded phrase a typo? If not, then what do you find unsatisfactory about model servos in your application?

A cheap servo motor (hobby type) has a dead band of 8 uS or more. More expensive servos ("digital") can have dead bands of about 2 uS. So, if you want more accurate positioning, then the servo with 2 uS dead band may suffice. I have found Servo City (servocity.com) to be a good source for servo specifications. It also explains what dead bands mean, if you are unfamiliar with that term.

The alternative to a servo, whether industrial or hobby, is a stepper motor. There are numerous threads about such motors for positioning. Most hobby-level CNC devices use them.

John

A better servo in what way?

You can make a servo from a geared motor with a feedback device on it, escap make some high quality items, you'd pay more than you would for a hobby servo though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back