Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Current sense option on a boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concrete???? You havnt seen the patio I did then :D. Ebay has a fantastic wooden boat going cheap, but I wouldnt touch it. Way too much work for me. One of the guys I go out fishing with has an Aluminium boat. Out of all the boats I have been on it is the coldest and most unstable of them all. His is a professional fishing boat, we go out and drop the pots, then fish for a couple of hours. But the cabin is always cold.

Thats why they make heatsinks out of ally!
Stability wont have owt to do with it though, the keel and hull affects that, if its a tub that is designed to be taken out of the water and trailered then the hull design will be flat, 'tunneled', or 'churched' making it less stable in the water.
One of the best smaller plastic - er fibreglass boats I've messed with is a wavey rider, reasonably good all rouund for what it is, but you cant beat a hardy for anything but racing, they look dull and boring but handle really well and get you through the weather.

Some fabulous boats around at the moment, if I had the cash I would like a Moody. Or there is a couple of really decent Sloops going. One is 25' and totally rigged for single handling from the cockpit. Although thats a kind of misnomer if something gets stuck lol. Yeah the metal boats are alot than the GRP (COUGH COUGH) boats.

On the boat forums there is alot of talk about the wooden ones, the costs seem through the roof for maintenance. But I admit there is something really special about the wooden ones, GRP (cough cough) Seems a good choice overall. Concrete is just counter intuitive :D. Steel I just dont fancy.

Concrete is just counter intuitive
I agree. Many moons ago I was surprised to see a concrete-built barge. It ("she" doesn't seem right for the ugly-looking thing) must have been about 50ft long with a beam of around 15ft and was tied up to a quay. Goodness knows what its tonnage was, but I was curious to see if I could move it just by pushing with my foot. Sure enough I could (it was a near windless day), but the acceleration wasn't brilliant :D.

Nowt wrong with plastic.

Metal = rustbucket

Wood = rotbox

BOAT = Bung Out Another Thousand£ LOL

Its GRP.........Not plastic :sorry:

Like I said nowt wrong with plastic, on the lancaster canal there are lots of Grp boats from the 60's, in fact most are, however there are few narrow boats that old.
Your right about the dosh, a boat is just a hole in the water your throw money into.

Like I said nowt wrong with plastic, on the lancaster canal there are lots of Grp boats from the 60's, in fact most are, however there are few narrow boats that old.
Your right about the dosh, a boat is just a hole in the water your throw money into.
Yeah just got a battery switch!!! Cant believe there were people around to watch me get robbed! lol.

Funny how the actual boat is the cheapest bit! Even Nylon rope cost a fortune for 50m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back