Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best analog single supply comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

avicreats

Can anyone help me..

I used lm358 as a comparator and fed up in using it..I tried all kind of pull up resistor between non inverting input and o/p to avoid floating o/p,but wasnt able to..So i hav decided to look for an best comparator ic..Can anyone help me out in this...
Thank you,,

hi,
The LM393 , LM339 are low cost medium specification comparators

Best comparator is quite an open ended question.

Best price?
Best availability?
Then the devices that Eric suggest are the best.

Best in speed?
Try the LT1715 or LMH7322

Best in lower power consumption?
Try the LTC6702 or TLV3402

An LM358 is an old low power, low quality, slow dual opamp, not a comparator. Its outputs are push-pull so they never float.

Adding a resistor from its output to its non-inverting input simply adds positive feedback to make it switch faster or latch (it doesn't work when it latches).

Post your schematic so we can see what is wrong.

Can anyone help me..

I used lm358 as a comparator and fed up in using it..I tried all kind of pull up resistor between non inverting input and o/p to avoid floating o/p,but wasnt able to..So i hav decided to look for an best comparator ic..Can anyone help me out in this...
Thank you,,

Post your schematic. Since the LM358 is an opamp, not a comparitor, it shouldn't need any resistor on its output. An LM358 used as a comparator would be quite slow, but would work for non-critical applications.

comp.jpg
Post your schematic. Since the LM358 is an opamp, not a comparitor, it shouldn't need any resistor on its output. An LM358 used as a comparator would be quite slow, but would work for non-critical applications.

Hello,,

In the schematic the pot value =10k ohm.

You have the power supply pins of the LM358 connected backwards. Pin 4 should be ground and pin 8 should be +24V.
The IC is probably destroyed.

If the pot is set at half so that the reference voltage to pin 6 is +12V then the LED turns on when the input is higher than +12V.

You have the power supply pins of the LM358 connected backwards. Pin 4 should be ground and pin 8 should be +24V.
The IC is probably destroyed.

If the pot is set at half so that the reference voltage to pin 6 is +12V then the LED turns on when the input is higher than +12V.

Sorry,i posted a un edited one,,here it is..

the comparator circuit is at the bottom left..

Actually the problem was when i connected comparator circuit with my rectifier circuit ,the problem of comparator got arised..
When dc input of 3v was given to the comparator with reference of 2.5v,,the o/p of comp was 5v(it was to be +24v(high))..At the same time the ac voltage at that o/p was 3v ac..Now i got a point to say that ac is imposed on dc...so can u help me to reduce the ac voltage in the circuit before comming to the comparator..

Thank you...

sccc.jpg

There is no smoothing capacitor on the output of the rectifier.

JimB

The power supply is also missing a smoothing capacitor.

The datasheet shows that with a +24V supply, the output of the LM358 goes as high as only +22V when the load is 10mA or 20mA.

I was referring to the power supply rectifier.

I see that AG thought that I was referring to the op-amp based rectifiers.
To tell the truth, my poor little brain rebelled at the rest of the very badly draw circuit and did not bother analysing it.

JimB

Replacing the LM358 with a real comparitor is the least of your problems.
There is no filtering anywhere, on the +24V DC supply, on the output of the active rectifier, on the inverting input of the comparitor.

With out resistance values, I cant figure out what you are trying to do???

Thankyou everyone for sharing your time with me..but its not over yet...

I added a 1000 micro farad at the end of rectifier and amazingly the comparator worked very well...

comp1.jpg
But my circuit started working differently..The o/p of rectifier was 300mv dc for 250mv ac..But after adding capacitor,the o/p jumped to 700mv dc..I have attached the readings that i got(after adding capacitor)..Interstingly after reaching 900v dc, the o/p from rectifier stopped increasing..I couldnt relate the problem with my bad brain...Help plz??

cnt alz.jpg

Last edited:
None of your resistors have values so we don't know if the opamps are overloaded which will limit the output voltage.
We also do not know how much voltage gain you have in your active rectifier.

The text is too small to see if your power supply is AC or DC and we cannot see the voltage. If it is AC then the bridge rectifier needs a huge filter capacitor.

If the zener diode is connected with backwards polarity then it will limit the voltage to about 0.7V.

None of your resistors have values so we don't know if the opamps are overloaded which will limit the output voltage.
We also do not know how much voltage gain you have in your active rectifier.

The text is too small to see if your power supply is AC or DC and we cannot see the voltage. If it is AC then the bridge rectifier needs a huge filter capacitor.

If the zener diode is connected with backwards polarity then it will limit the voltage to about 0.7V.

I got my circuit working..I left pulsating dc till the amplyfing opamp and added capacitor filter in front of comparator...But couldnt justify how i got..Thankyou everyone...Very much appreciated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back