Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Project for Flashlight( New Person )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zdeamon

Hello Everyone, Im currently new to this forum and honestly didn't know where to start till i met ( DerStrom8 ) I thank you for pointing me in the right direction..

Anyways the reason im here as you can see from the tittle i posted i need help on making a sealed battery as the original is no longer being made and no alternatives are being made as well.

But befor i get into the battery making details i should tell you about the flashlight and the voltages i need.

The Flashlight i have is a Teledyne Big Beam Model No.1000 which uses a huge 24 cell 9 volt screw terminal top battery which is bigger than a motorcycle battery, I need to make a new battery.

I have tested using a New Bright 9.6 volt RC car battery with success only problem is i find the voltage being a bit too much as i do not want to blow the original bulb the flashlight has.

Or better yet im playing it safe as the flashlight is older than i am and wish to step down or up the voltage to my liking since i do not know the highest voltage the bulbs can take i don't want to risk blowing them.

Ok ok enouth jubber jabber lolz the pictures i have will show the battery i need to make and the flashlight i will power with the new battery.
20140318_180921.jpg
20140429_003658.jpg
20140318_181107.jpg
20140429_003919.jpg
20140318_181609.jpg
20140430_145706.jpg
20140430_145757.jpg
20140430_145856.jpg
20140430_145921.jpg
20140430_145914.jpg

I presume the battery is made of TIN. can' you just pry open it and connect some ~1.6 volt cells in series? you can preserve the originality of the piece. Do I see a Union carbide writing? :sorry:

Hi,

Nice pics that really help explain what you are trying to do, and i presume you did not use a 100 year only camera to take those shots :)

First thought:
Donate that flashlight to a museum, buy a new XML LED type LED flashlight and associated Li-in batteries. It will be so bright it will amaze and confuse you.

Second thought:
If you still want to get this old thing going, try to get at the bulb itself. It should be replaceable so you should be able to take it out and find the part number. If so, we can look up the part number and find out what kind of voltages it can take.

Third thought:
If you incorporate a small buck converter circuit into your 'new' battery pack, you will be able to use a standard 12v lead acid battery which you can get almost anywhere on the web these days. The buck circuit can be adjusted to exactly 9v if that's what you prefer, or even less, 8.5v, if you really want to be safe. The buck modules are available on sites like Amazon for example.

Fourth thought:
A battery holder that holds 6xAA cells will give about 9v, so a bunch of them in parallel might do it?

If you are after a bright light though the new XML LED flashlight will be the best choice here, and you can still try to fix the old one if you like.

Last edited:
Since you have a 9.6V battery you could just drop the volts down a bit by inserting one or two diodes in series with the lamp. The diodes would be rated to handle, say, 5 times the normal lamp current to allow for the inrush current surge when the filament is cold.

I presume the battery is made of TIN. can' you just pry open it and connect some ~1.6 volt cells in series? you can preserve the originality of the piece. Do I see a Union carbide writing? :sorry:
Well the whole idea is to preserve the battery as they are rare and cannot be found , so i need a plastic project box that is the same size with removeable lid.

You could replace the bulb with one of these. They work over a wide voltage range so you can play with the batter configuration some.
They use much less power so the battery will last a long time.
https://www.niteize.com/product/High-Power-LED-Upgrade-Kit-for-C-and-D-Cell-Flashlights.asp
**broken link removed**
The bulbs for the flashlight are much bigger than the ones you pos
Hi,

Nice pics that really help explain what you are trying to do, and i presume you did not use a 100 year only camera to take those shots :)

First thought:
Donate that flashlight to a museum, buy a new XML LED type LED flashlight and associated Li-in batteries. It will be so bright it will amaze and confuse you.

Second thought:
If you still want to get this old thing going, try to get at the bulb itself. It should be replaceable so you should be able to take it out and find the part number. If so, we can look up the part number and find out what kind of voltages it can take.

Third thought:
If you incorporate a small buck converter circuit into your 'new' battery pack, you will be able to use a standard 12v lead acid battery which you can get almost anywhere on the web these days. The buck circuit can be adjusted to exactly 9v if that's what you prefer, or even less, 8.5v, if you really want to be safe. The buck modules are available on sites like Amazon for example.

Forth thought:
A battery holder that holds 6xAA cells will give about 9v, so a bunch of them in parallel might do it?

If you are after a bright light though the new XML LED flashlight will be the best choice here, and you can still try to fix the old one if you like.
actually the flashlight is much brighter than any led flashlight ive see as i have 2 acres of land and it shines farther than that.

You could replace the bulb with one of these. They work over a wide voltage range so you can play with the batter configuration some.
They use much less power so the battery will last a long time.
https://www.niteize.com/product/High-Power-LED-Upgrade-Kit-for-C-and-D-Cell-Flashlights.asp
**broken link removed**
The whole idea is to keep the flashlight as original as possible as the flashlight itself is hard to get and the socket for the bulb is much larger and unique as the ring on the bulb has a locking mechinism attached to it.

Looks like a replacement battery is available at ADFR & Associates. They have a #466 NEDA 904, 9V dry cell battery. It fits the Big Beam 1000

Do I see a Union carbide writing? :sorry:
It also tickled my brain and I remembered the tragedy.
Eveready and Energizer battery companies have held stock or were bought by manufacturers of razor blades, women's tampons, dog food and sunscreen.

A few days ago at a Target store I bought some Eveready Lithium AA cells at 70% off list price. I brought them home and looked for their datasheet on the web. There is no such battery and no datasheet!
I do not think they are fakes because the English spelling is correct and Energizer is also mentioned.
On Google I found an Australian review (G'day mate!) of my Eveready Lithium cells. He paid $20.00AUS and I paid $2.25CAN for a pack of 4. The dollar values are identical today. He said they are excellent. They are made in China.

The bulbs for the flashlight are much bigger than the ones you pos

actually the flashlight is much brighter than any led flashlight ive see as i have 2 acres of land and it shines farther than that.

Hi,

I never stated that *you* had ever seen an LED light that is brighter than your bulb light.

An acre of land is about 44k square feet, so you are saying that the light can shine *farther* than 88,000 square feet? I hate to say it but that doesnt make any sense :)

The word "farther" implies a linear distance, in say feet, while acre implies an area not a distance. For example if the two acres were arranged as an area of 2 feet by 44,000 feet and you shine the light across the 2 foot distance, that would say it can shine across only 2 feet of distance. If you shine it across the 44,000 feet length that would say it can shine farther than 13,000 meters, which is more than 8 miles! I seriously doubt you can see that far. On the other hand, if the land is arranged in a square, then each side would be about 300 feet across, so you would be saying that the light can shine 300 feet. If you shine it diagonally from corner to corner then it would shine about 425 feet. But there are LED lights that can shine three times farther than that.

So i guess your main objective is just to restore the light because you like it as it is something from the distant past that you want to preserve for a long time. In that case i wish you the best of luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back