Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Batteries from Lexus Hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Anyone local (Derbyshire, England) interested in batteries from a Hybrid Lexus car? - looks like about 380V worth, and VERY heavy.

The car has been flood damaged, and the battery control systems have been killed, which requires a complete new battery assembly (at £1600) - as far as we can tell, the original batteries seem fine.

They are probably going on Ebay today, if anyone is interested, let me know.

Oh no I see a page of:

pls giv me invtr ckt 4 380V in, pure sinwave 230VAC out.

:D

Maybe it'd be a good thing if you sold them to idiots to remove them from the gene pool?:D

Apparently they go for about £200 on Ebay - Jason, who's they are, has listed them this afternoon.

Been a strange 'work' day, stripped a Lexus battery unit, and now just been helping to fit two RSJ's to support the wall above for a new extension on the bosses house. Bit of overkill, two huge great RSJ's bolted together - building regulations seem to have gone crazy in recent years.

RSJs?

(need more letters for my post...)

They aren't for sale any more! :p

The new unit came this afternoon (£1600 worth), and it's batteries and casing ONLY - no electronics, no fans, nothing else. Makes me glad it was nothing to do with me! :D

So we've had to reassemble the old unit, and he's now trying to source the rotted away control unit (looks like bus-bars and sealed relays - and there's a busbar that goes through a sensor, presumably to monitor the current).

I doubt they're relays, something like that should be all solid state nowdays. Sad that you got rid of the pack, if you weren't so far away I'd have come right on over with cash =) (maybe) Considering the entire pack didn't go up in a ball of fire most of the cells should still be okay, and they were probably Lithium Ion primaries. Lots of umf.

I doubt they're relays, something like that should be all solid state nowdays. Sad that you got rid of the pack, if you weren't so far away I'd have come right on over with cash =) (maybe) Considering the entire pack didn't go up in a ball of fire most of the cells should still be okay, and they were probably Lithium Ion primaries. Lots of umf.

I presumed they were solidstate ones, but they are solid epoxy (although I might try cutting one apart) - the batteries are all fine, the water didn't even get that high up. The intention is to send the new batteries back, and rebuild the old unit.

It's not my car, it's the bosses son at work, and he thought you had to buy the entire complete battery unit - and when it came nothing but the batteries and metal casing is iincluded :D

Sorry Nigel, I was always a little sketchy about calling solid state relays 'relays'. Their mode of operation is so drastically different they require a separate naming convention. I might use the term relay generically for any mechanical relay, but I would never call a solid state relay just a 'relay'

It'd be kind of like calling helicopters and fixed wing aircraft 'airplanes' No one calls a helicopter an airplane =) The basic operating principals are the same, the specifics and modes of operation are drastically different, as well as their capabilities.

Sorry Nigel, I was always a little sketchy about calling solid state relays 'relays'. Their mode of operation is so drastically different they require a separate naming convention. I might use the term relay generically for any mechanical relay, but I would never call a solid state relay just a 'relay'

It'd be kind of like calling helicopters and fixed wing aircraft 'airplanes' No one calls a helicopter an airplane =) The basic operating principals are the same, the specifics and modes of operation are drastically different, as well as their capabilities.

One gently 'floats' atop a higher differential pressure beneath the wing, and the other 'uses the wing to simply beat the air into submission'.

hehe, yeah I've always liked that definition Mickster, I've read casually a bit about the aerodynamics of helicopters though, absolutely fascinating; so many things rotating besides the blades themselves and things moving in opposite directions to one other which under the wrong conditions can cause the entire aerodynamic force keeping it upright to fail completely and it drops like a rock such as in with a dynamic stall when a helicopter tries to settle in it's own downdraft. Although it's not identical by any means it's someone comparable to my fascination with water propeller blades and the effects of cavitation which aren't actually bubbles of air as most people think but tiny bubbles of vacuum which instantly turn into small pockets of steam because the pressure is so low the water boils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back