Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Soldering & Desoldering Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard about potential health hazards when soldering. Such as the rosin fumes causing asthma or the lead oxide (or something like that) causing lead poisoning. Are these concerns valid? Should I take precautions such as wearing a breathing mask, or would a simple fan blowing away the smoke suffice? I do not solder often, but when I do, I solder in 2 to 3 hour segments a couple times a week in a large room. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have heard about potential health hazards when soldering. Such as the rosin fumes causing asthma or the lead oxide (or something like that) causing lead poisoning. Are these concerns valid? Should I take precautions such as wearing a breathing mask, or would a simple fan blowing away the smoke suffice? I do not solder often, but when I do, I solder in 2 to 3 hour segments a couple times a week in a large room. Any advice would be appreciated.

I was part of a goverment study - the ONLY concern was a very tiny chance that flux fumes could trigger attcks in asthma sufferers.

The results of the study was that there was no need (or reason) for fume extraction unless in a production environment.

Incidently, the modern crappy fluxes don't even cause asthma attacks any more, not even the tiny amount the old fluxes may have - mind you, it doesn't work as flux very well either! :D

So if you want to use a fan, but it won't make any difference to your health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back