Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bar Diodes: What are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

We were just doing some lectures briefly involving something called a bar diode recently. I didn't get many details on them, but we did get to see a few up close. They looked sort of like little glass tubes and appearantly they're used in a few high-intensity light applications (laser diodes maybe?) but it's real hard finding data on them.

I googled up a few sites, but it was mostly brochures and industry talk. Does anybody know a good site for info on these bar diodes?

Laser diode bars are arrays of laser diode chips mounted to a big heatsink, often attached to forced cooling. Sometimes the assemblies have optics and focus the output into fiber optic lines.

The glass tubes part doesn't make sense - what was the topic of the lecture?

Was digging around the web, I've never heard of the "AL081C60W" types before - is this similar to what you saw?
http://www.roithner-laser.com/htoe.html

Last edited:
I have a couple shots of a defunt assembly. The are two of these devices in each picture with 9 rods on one assembly and 12 on the other. I'm uncertain if the rods are for producing or maybe focusing the light. The details at the time were really vague.

Attachments

• bar diode.jpg
    bar diode.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 173
  • bar diode 2.jpg
    bar diode 2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 164
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back