Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AVR STK500 or PICkit 2 Debug Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering which one you would get and why
A much fairer comparison would be AVR Dragon versus PICkit 2. The STK500 is old, and a bit clunky compared to the much more modern Dragon. The AVR Dragon and the PICkit 2 are similar in many ways, but the Dragon has more programming/debugging modes than the PICkit 2 because AVR's are commonly programmed/debugged in so many ways.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a little confused about the question. The two development programmers being compared are designed for two totally different series and manufacture of chips, Microchip vs AVR.

I would think that first one would have to choose which chips series they are going to target and then compare the different programmers available for only that specific chip manufacture. Comparing different AVR programmers to different PIC programmers is, as already stated a apple to oranges comparison. Or is there something I'm missing? (as usual!)

Last edited:
pic has more support in that the best pic programmer can be cloned(easily accessible for people where microchip does not provide services) and the dragon because of less market penetration is less popular. performance wise i wouldnt rate the dragon to behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back